Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Walleye Boats and Motors (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   bass boat or deep v (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91073)

terry 08-27-2002 06:12 PM

bass boat or deep v

I am kind of ignorant on which type to get and why you guys prefer one over the other. I am leaning towards the bass boat. I have fished from both. The bass one seems easier to fish from(big deck in front and back, easier to manuver). Why do most walleye fisherman use a deep v? Can't you back troll with a bass boat? Been to Canada several times and 95% of what I see are deep v's. How come? Where I fished there always was a guy that lived by the Ozarks. He had a bass boat. We talked about the two boats. I thought the deep v's would be better on the bigger lakes. He did not agree. Some of the lakes he fishes on in the south were many times bigger than what I have fished in Canada. He said that his could handle rough water as good or better. Once saw him on the biggest part of the lake with white caps. I was in a friends deep v. We were heading back in rocking and rolling. He flew by us and looked like he had a pretty smooth ride. Back to my question why a deep v or a bass boat? Thanks for any help.

REW 08-27-2002 06:21 PM

RE: bass boat or deep v

I think that the main reason for deep v boats for walleye fishing is freeboard. Many bass boats - have freeboard that is measured in less than a foot. Especially on the back of the boat, you will often see a bass boat, with someone on the back deck, and the edge of the gunnel is only a few inches above the surface of a calm lake. If you then get into big waves, you are guarenteed to have water coming over the edges of the boat. It may be over the side, or over the back, if you are trying to back troll or stop quickly.

I will agree - that on a 20 foot bass boat, with a 200 hp engine on it -- if you can keep it on plane --- that they can be an exceedingly smooth ride in some very rough water. The problem is that if they slow up - you can have a serious water over the side, nose, or transom condition.

I expect that if a person is very cautious - really knows what he is doing - that a bass boat will work just fine.

My neighbor takes his bass boat to canada every spring, summer and fall and fishes rainy and other large lakes. He keeps an eye on the weather, and doen't go out when the wind is over 30 miles an hour and has a great time. I have fished with him quite a bit, and will agree that his boat gives a great ride is some very bad water. I will also say that I have been more than a little nervous in some big wave condititons, when we have stopped to fish.

take care
REW

Mp3553 08-27-2002 07:49 PM

Owned a bassboat for 8 years and fished in some real NASTY stuff. The biggest draw back was length, @ 17' she would spear rollers if you didn't navigate properly. Never had ANY water come over the sides due to the wide beam or over the back. Then again, I never allowed the stern to be in that position.
The ride was decent considering the draft of the boat on plane. 2-3' chop was about the max that boat could handle @ 40+ mph. The small stuff, she would just skip over the tops and haul tail. Anything larger than that would jar the back teeth loose and kill the lower back. Worst was 6-7' rollers-10 miles from camp. Took 1 1/2 hours to get back! Scared the livin pee out of me! After that episode, she was sold and went to a larger deep V boat to handle the elements. A lot happier knowing that the weather won't dictate where and when I fish as much now. The only thing this boat won't do vs the bassboat is cruise in water less than 20".
The choice is entirely up to the owner....
Been there done that!

daren 08-27-2002 08:03 PM

A bass boat is fine for many conditions but I must agree with others that a deep v boat that sits higher off the water is better for large waves. That doesn't necessarilly indicate aluminum though. A good glass deep v walleye (really multispecies) boat can be the best of both worlds. The front deck can be decently large but will normally be lower in the boat than the bass boat. The rear deck is normally lower in the boat also. Basically, if you look for a deep v glass boat in the size you want you will get a great all around boat. A bass boat, though very nice, is not quite as at home in the rougher waters.

targa2 08-28-2002 05:30 AM

I've run up against 20 and 21 foot bass boats with my Targa and they don't even come close to being able to handle what I can. I've also listened to what these guys consider to be 2 to 3 footers and they must be using a modified yardstick(one that was broken over their head and impaired their brain function). Bass boats make excellent casting platforms and if that is all you plan on doing for the rest of your days then they are great. If you plan on multispecies fishing. especially where trolling may be involved , get a deep v.

Jigging 5 08-28-2002 06:00 AM

I have a 18' Nitro I fished walleye tournaments with in the past. Wonderfull to Jig from and the fastest boat on the circuit. But could not handle rough water and very hard to troll from. Could not fish a few tournaments due to rough water. It would handle pretty rough water on plane but stationary it took on water. I still have the boat and love to fish from it but, I bought a Tundra to fish tournaments and rough water lakes. If you are going to fish lakes known to get rough I would not buy a bass boat. Oh I was accused by my peers as being a pond fisherman. It was fun beating them now and then from my pond boat. Buy a deep v. GOOD FISHING!

The Eyes_Have it 08-28-2002 07:09 AM

Just a suggestion, but take a look at the Lund Pro-V models. I own a Lund 2025 Pro-V. It sits much closer to the water then most Deep V's, and i've never taken on water. I'm sure there are other brands that offer the same design, i'm just not aware of them

DMMoore 08-28-2002 01:44 PM

RE: bass boat or deep v21'Tundra

To solve both of your problem you might want to look at the New 21'Tundra. Here at Bass Pro In Auburn Hills MI we should have one in about 6-7 weeks. Already have one sold. The boat has a nice front and rear decks. One off the best rides out there and a hughe live well. Douglas [email]dmmoore@basspro.com[/email]

Jigging 5 08-29-2002 05:27 AM

RE: 21' Tundra prices

Hello,
I have the 18' Dc walk-tru and love it. Could you give me an idea what the new 21' price would be for the walk-tru? Ball park figure for basic package. Thanks.

Al 08-29-2002 05:43 AM

In equally well built boats, it comes down to one thing....THE DRIVER> I've been with guys on huge water (Erie)(Ontario) in bass boats. Some of the best big water drivers I've ever ridden with. I've been with some horrible drivers in big multispecies boats. Based on those trips alone, one would prefer bass boats. The fact is, if you have an experienced driver behind the wheel of a bass boat, he'll be able to handle the boat in more water than you have the jewels to ride in. Bass boats, even the 20-22 footers are very nimble, and are great for navigation through big waves. Visibility is excellent as well. As for water splashing over the sides....I guess that is subjective to what we call "rough" water. I've been in bass boats in 7-9 footers several times. I'm talking ceiling high waves measured tough to crest. It's not fun in either boat, but an experienced captain makes a big difference. I've been in 7-9 in the multis too. At that point, you will get wet in either ride.