Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Two Lowrance HDS 7's or one HDS 9 (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590274)

Tayzak15 01-06-2017 02:59 PM

Two Lowrance HDS 7's or one HDS 9

Hey guys looking for input on this I have one hds 7 gen 2 right now. Would it be better to sell that off and get a hds9 gen 3 or keep it, buy a hds gen 3 and network the two hds 7's together?

Hawker 01-06-2017 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=Tayzak15;5257354]Hey guys looking for input on this I have one hds 7 gen 2 right now. Would it be better to sell that off and get a hds9 gen 3 or keep it, buy a hds gen 3 and network the two hds 7's together?[/QUOTE]

Overall it depends on what your wanting to do. If it were me, I'd keep the Gen2's, put one at the bow connected to a TM ducer, then mount the new Gen3-9 and the other Gen2 at the console and network all three together. You didn't say if you already had Structure Scan, but if not, leave your existing 83/200 transom mount ducer and connect it to the Gen2 on the console, get a TotalScan ducer with the new Gen3 and connect it to the new Gen3. Networking all three units together will give you a wide variety of what you want to view where and with only one map card be able to view charts from any unit any time.

Snowking 01-06-2017 05:31 PM

I think he only has one gen 2 7 inch. Now I not sure because of the last sentence network two 7s after buying gen 3 9. Are you trying to mount these side by side on the dash or one dash one bow. Either way with the amount of stuff they keep adding to fishfinder s I would get the gen 3 9 inch. Unless it is to big to fit side by side with the 7. If that is what you are doing.

Hot Runr Guy 01-06-2017 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=Tayzak15;5257354]Hey guys looking for input on this I have one hds 7 gen 2 right now. Would it be better to sell that off and get a hds9 gen 3 or keep it, buy a[B] hds gen 3 [/B]and network the two hds 7's together?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Snowking;5257610]I think he only has one gen 2 7 inch. Now I not sure because of the last sentence network two 7s after buying gen 3 9. Are you trying to mount these side by side on the dash or one dash one bow. Either way with the amount of stuff they keep adding to fishfinder s I would get the gen 3 9 inch. Unless it is to big to fit side by side with the 7. If that is what you are doing.[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about buying a gen 3 HDS 7, to network with his current gen 2 HDS 7, or selling his current 7 and buying a gen 3 HDS 9.

My 2 cents is, measure the screens, and see which gives you the most viewing area, (2) 7's, or (1) 9. Having dual units you could dedicate 1 to GPS, the other to sonar, without splitting screens.

HRG

Tayzak15 01-06-2017 06:33 PM

Thanks for the quick replies and yes thats correct with what I'm asking. I have 1 hds 7 gen 2 right now and its either I add a gen 3 hds 7 right now and run the two of them side by side, or I sell the hds 7 I have right now and use a single hds 9

Hawker 01-06-2017 08:03 PM

:banghead::banghead: Yeppers, my bad, I read it wrong! Guess that's what I get for trying to do 11 things at once, or was it 9 :confused:

In any case, if you have the room, keep the 7, get the 9, network them and still have all kinds of display options.

CSH Kucinski 01-07-2017 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=Hawker;5257914]:banghead::banghead: Yeppers, my bad, I read it wrong! Guess that's what I get for trying to do 11 things at once, or was it 9 :confused:

In any case, if you have the room, keep the 7, get the 9, network them and still have all kinds of display options.[/QUOTE]

I would do the same thing, gives you many options. Currently I have a Gen 2 8 networked with a Gen 3 12, its awesome.

Skeeter20 01-09-2017 02:39 PM

Hands down add another 7. Having one set for gps and one for sonar is really nice. 14" vs 9" and in the event something ever did happen you have a back up unit.

Beer King 01-10-2017 09:36 AM

I would vote for adding a 9. I ran single 7 forever but recently added a used 9 dedicated to mapping. Screen size increase on 9 is much more than it sounds. Rarely used the 7 for mapping due to limited screen size. 9 works great for that purpose. As others stated - having a backup is also nice with two. I wish I had done it long ago

Dan

Pooch 01-10-2017 08:19 PM

[B]"My 2 cents is, measure the screens, and see which gives you the most viewing area, (2) 7's, or (1) 9. Having dual units you could dedicate 1 to GPS, the other to sonar, without splitting screens."[/B]

I have two gen2 HDS 7's. One for sonar and one for navigation. I like the redundancy it offers if one goes down. Just my thought process. I do like the HDS 12 touch though.... decisions, decisions.

Pooch