Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GMC Sierra/Chev Silverado Spare Tire Carrier? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157298)

freespoolin 08-20-2009 07:22 PM

GMC Sierra/Chev Silverado Spare Tire Carrier?

I had a flat on my 2006 Sierra. Attempted to lower the spare, the cable would come down but not the tire. Consulted the manual, it says that there is a secondary latch. To release it, put the jack under the truck and jack on the retainer holding the tire.
This worked, the tire came down.
Now I want to re-install the spare.
However, the same thing, the cable will come down but not the retainer. It is dangling from the spare tire carrier. Loose, but there is a hook that prevents it from coming through the round hole in the tire carrier.

And there's a scary line in the owner's manual: "Have the hoist assembly inspected as soon as you can. You will not be able to store a spare or flat tire using the hoist assembly until it has been replaced"
What, is this spare tire carrier for one time use? It isn't rusted.
Any suggestions.

freespoolin 08-20-2009 09:40 PM

GMC Tire Carrier problem

So I solved the problem. In my deep frustration, I removed the entire spare tire carrier for "closer examination".
I discovered that with some vise grips, penetrating oil, WD40, steel wool, brake cleaner I could free a little collar at the base of the "T" that holds the yoke. The seized collar prevented the secondary latch from releasing. If the collar is free, it moves upwards and releases the latch.
I'll know what to do the next time (if my fading brain remembers).
So the lesson learned, carry two 4 x 4 blocks, and some penetrating oil/WD40 and visegrips and hope you don't have a flat on a rainy night. The owners manual provides some detail on how to get the spare down, it doesn't explain why the secondary latch won't release.
Freespoolin the Backyard Mechanic

Suzuki 08-21-2009 07:48 AM

What a pain! I too have an 06 Sierra. After reading your post I'm considering putting the spare in the bed.

PjmPjm 08-21-2009 09:10 AM

I believe it is a safety hook. If the cable was to rust off the spare would drop free, if not for this hook. If you were driving on the highway when this happened, this could pose a problem for you and other drivers. I push the hook up and to the side to free it, then the tire comes down. It is a little ackward, but not that difficult. Good luck.

AJCourchesne 01-26-2011 06:48 PM

Same problem - replace part

I had the same problem last friday... cable down, tire stuck on secondary hook... brought the truck into the garage. Te hoist was replaced by a new model... the new part does NOT have the secondary hook...

Expensive repair... but at least, I,ll be able to store the tire under the truck

BTW: 2006 Silverado, long bed, 4X4

MrStarnes1 01-26-2011 06:55 PM

[quote=PjmPjm;1130494]I believe it is a safety hook. If the cable was to rust off the spare would drop free, if not for this hook. If you were driving on the highway when this happened, this could pose a problem for you and other drivers. I push the hook up and to the side to free it, then the tire comes down. It is a little ackward, but not that difficult. Good luck.[/quote]

thats correct! i see a lot of issues with these trucks due to lots of dirt and debris that gets lodged in the release mechanism.
just remember to give the spare tire area a shot of water at the car wash when you wash your truck from time to time. should help out next time you try to drop the tire

MK cant log 01-27-2011 09:30 AM

I have a similar arrangement on my 02 Trailblazer. Had a flat last year and tried to lower the tire and everything was rusted solid. Finally called AAA and the wrecker driver told me that these mechanisms are a nightmare for them. He couldn't get it loose either.

After getting it home I ended up cutting the cable with a cut-off tool and replacing the entire mechanism for about $120 (part cost). Mechanic at dealer said the best thing to do is to lower and raise the tire at least once a year and grease the parts every couple years.

The idiots that designed and approved this system should be put against the wall. Putting rust prone parts exposed to the elements on the underside of a vehicle in a device that needs to be used generally in an emergency situation. But I'm sure the design worked great in their climate controlled lab.

KMDahlgren 05-17-2013 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=AJCourchesne;1265185]I had the same problem last friday... cable down, tire stuck on secondary hook... brought the truck into the garage. Te hoist was replaced by a new model... the new part does NOT have the secondary hook...

Expensive repair... but at least, I,ll be able to store the tire under the truck

BTW: 2006 Silverado, long bed, 4X4[/QUOTE]

What did you order to replace the Spare Tire Hoist .. we are having the same challenge and want the tire mounted under the truck .. thank you

mrbreeze 05-17-2013 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=KMDahlgren;1782313]What did you order to replace the Spare Tire Hoist .. we are having the same challenge and want the tire mounted under the truck .. thank you[/QUOTE]

Try to do this in the middle of the night, in the woods, in November. Been there.

JayM5209 05-17-2013 08:34 AM

DO NOT Google "Sierra/Silverado spare tire." You will be reading horror stories for ten months!

I have been driving GMC pickups since 1982 and have never had to use a spare tire. I know, only luck and the grace of God. But having read and heard some of these stories about the famed secondary locking mechanism, when I took my '08 Sierra in for an oil change this week I asked them to remove and reinstall the spare tire just to reassure me that all is well and I won't have to walk ten miles out a bush road next week to get help. Everything was free and worked fine after five years of no attention.

Moral of the story - I'm luckier than I deserve to be, but given the history of this tire hanger design it pays to check it out periodically. In the woods, in the dark, in the cold, in the mud isn't the best circumstances for a learning experience!