Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Color (SI-TEX AVS-107) or BW (PinPoint 7520) Depth Finder (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016)

WalleyeRanger 04-28-2000 03:05 PM

Color (SI-TEX AVS-107) or BW (PinPoint 7520) Depth Finder

Never seen a color depth finder before until I was in Erie last weekend(SI-TEX AVS-107). What's everyones opinion about them. Was planning on mounting a Pin Point 7520 on my new boat but thought this color model was pretty cool. Are they good in sunlight, fishing in the mighty Mo in S.D. Any opinion would help. Give me the low down

FISHMONGER 04-28-2000 04:44 PM

RE: Color (SI-TEX AVS-107) or BW (PinPoint 7520) Depth Finder

If it was a color unit it is a 106 sitex I own one of these I don't know why you don't here more about them. It's like having a vexilar flasher with a screen They are tougher to read in direct sunlight but they come with a shield and this year they gave them a black background and more power You pay for what you get I wouldn't trade mine for anything

sonars 04-30-2000 08:54 AM

Color sonars (crt's) are worthless in sunlight.
If you turn your boat so that the sun shines directly on the screen you wouldn't even know that the unit is on.

Mseye 04-30-2000 05:41 PM

The Scitex 107 is a video fish finder. If your'e looking for a good color video fish finder, I recommend you review the Seamax by Marinetek.
It not only has color, but in bright sunlight you can change the color scheme on the palette or you can go to amber and see clearly in any kind of sunshine. It has plot track, a compass and is GPS capable...all for a better price than the Scitex. By the way, we also have the pinpoint system on the boat and yes, the 7520 is a good digital fish finder; but digitals can't beat video fish finders.
The email is marintek@compuserve#####
Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Mseye
Columbia River Walleyes

SeaCat 04-30-2000 07:21 PM

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-00 AT 09:30PM (CST)[/font][p]I have had the SeaMax by MarineTek on my boat now for two seasons (this year will be 3rd). It is a great video fish finder with a full set of features. Have had many paper, lcd, and video graphs over the years (King 8008, SiTex 501 & 555), Telesonar 1300, Impulse 2800 & 4040, Lowrance 350, Apelco 3700, RayJef 5300, and Hummingbird CVR50). The only one that was comparable was the CVR50, but it weighed about 12# and was huge. I also still have the 4040 and run it on the boat too because it has a 120 Khtz transducer so I can run it at the same time as the 50/200 Khtz MarineTek.

I bought the last one that Boat US had in Grand Rapids, Mich. Have not seen one since then. If you have any questions that an end user can answer, feel free to email.

Ryan

cisco 05-01-2000 05:08 AM

Color sonar is great on Lake Michigan for trout and salmon fishing. However, I don't see why they put the walleye angler at any particular advantage. I rarely hunt walleyes in water over 40 feet (as a matter of fact, most of Leech outside of Walker Bay is under 30, Mille Lacs and Winnebago are also shallow, etc.). If you plan to charter on L Mich with a cabin equipped vessel you would want color video sonar -- with depths over 150 feet.

bob oh 05-01-2000 08:11 AM

I have the Sitex 106 and haven't seen anything I'd trade it for. Can't compare with the Pinpoint because I haven't seen one. The Sitex hangs on the roof of a hardtop so sun isn't a problem, but they are tough to see in direct sunlight. Separation is outstanding and it shows eyes hugging the bottom better than any unit I have seen.
Bob