Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you have a routine in Canada? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192823)

Ten Horse Johnson 03-21-2012 09:56 PM

Do you have a routine in Canada?

Just wondering if your group has developed a routine when up at a fishing camp. The group I go with does it something like this (early August):

6:30-7:00am people start waking up, having coffee
7:30-8:00am boats start shoving off, morning fish session
10:00-11:30 break for large hot breakfast
Noon-5:00pm fishing
5:00-7:00pm fish clean, make and eat dinner
7:00-9:00 young guys go out for evening fishing, old timers have happy hour
9:30/10:00 old timers start falling asleep
10:30 and beyond - young bucks pound beers around a campfire

We stick to this routine almost religiously.

Hawker 03-22-2012 07:12 AM

My "group" usually consists of my wife and myself, always the last week of May, 1st week of June! My stay usually goes like this:
I awake early, usually between 4:30-4:45 and the coffee pot is on auto so coffee is always ready!
Slip out of bed, quietly grab some clothes, slip into the kitchen, grab a cup O'Joe, get dressed, fill the thermos and head down to the dock where the boat is parked no later than 5:00 AM.
Grab a rod and fish around the dock till bout 5:15, then hop in the boat and away from the island for a bit of eye fishin/catching till 6:40 when I go back to the island & cabin and wake momma in time for breakfast at 7:00!
Grab a bite of breakfast at the lodge till around 8:00, then hit the water hard with momma along till 11:45 where we head in for a spot of lunch!
Hit the water again from 12:30ish until 5:45 when we once again head back in for supper at 6:00, then back on the water till sundown (usually 9:45ish when we head back to the island, share a brewesky or two around the campfire, then hit the hay and do it all over again the next day, and the next day etc till it all comes to a sudden end and we head home!!

Skeeter boats once had a slogan that said "Eat, Sleep, Fish" and I kinda took that to heart on my Canada trips only it's "Fish, Eat, Fish, Sleep, Repeat"!!

HeHooksHimself 03-22-2012 07:29 AM

routine

Lately we have altered our routine to come in and have a dinner from about 2-4, that way when we come in at night we are not doing dishes until midnight and cleaning fish in the dark. So many days are something like this. 2-4 is historically the slowest fishing time anyway.

Early risers put on coffee about 6:30
We usually just eat cereal for breakfast to keep the mess down.
Everyone takes a dump and gets their gear to the boat for 8:00ish shove off
Come back in around 2, have a big meal drink some beers clean it all up and back on the water by 4
Fish until dark
Hang out on the deck and snack, drink, smoke cigars and tell lies.
Many nights we have a poker game
Pack it in around midnight or 1.

Esoxchaser 03-22-2012 07:46 AM

Up around 0430-0500. Eat a meal, get on the lake as the horizon turns pink. Fish till the AM bite slows. back to camp for breakfast while the hungover people complain the fishing is terrible. Yea, it can be after 0900. LOL Maybe a mid day siesta, hike and lunch. Back on the lake by 1600, fish till dark-thirty. Dinner, back to bed.

Golden Eagle 03-22-2012 08:47 AM

I've met a lot of nice pike between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Would not consider stopping for a meal during those hours. Eating a cold fish sandwich on the move is my idea of eating lunch. Also it's hard to leave during the evening walleye bite. Walleyes don't belong to a union. They work all night at hunting a meal.

Most of our fish cleaning and fish frying are done after dark.

Going out really early in the morning is rewarding, but not the greatest time for catching. At least that's my experience in NW Ontario.

Tonyo 03-22-2012 09:13 AM

Gullrock Routine

Our group has great intentions every year to get going and be on the water early but here is our routine for the past 12 or so years.

2 or 3 of the 10 to 12 are early risers and are up by 6:30 and get the coffee started for the rest. The rest are up by 8 and we all grab a quick bite to eat and head out by 9.
Fish from 9 to 2 or so and grab a quick shore lunch or snacks in the boats.
Fish from 3 to whenever and head in for fish cleaning, dinner, drinks and fun until 12 or 1.
Then back up to do it again.

We are not a group that has a regimented schedule and we really don't want one. Our attitude is we are on vacation and will do what comes easiest.

63 days and we will try out this routine again.

TonyO

zman8701 03-22-2012 09:15 AM

2:00 primetime

Goldeneagle I could not agree with you more. My biggest walleyes have been caught at 2:00 in the afternoon in less than 10 FOW. In June when the sun gets high in the sky the walleye bite is on.

Mondo_)H 03-22-2012 09:18 AM

I'm ON vacation!! there is no routine, cept maybe walking to the frig over and over and over for a kold 1 :)

LOW1 03-22-2012 10:06 AM

I get up around five or six, drink a coffee or two and listen to Canadian radio which is so much better than radio in the states. This is also a good time to watch the otter which hangs out at the dock.

If the weather is nice I then take the kayak out for an hour or so to get some exercise. I especially enjoy looking for snapping turtles.

Back to the cabin and cook a big breakfast for the kids-usually pancakes and bacon. Drink more coffee.

May go fishing sometime between 10 and 4. Or may go tubing or kayaking with the kids or do some cabin repair project.

Frequently don't eat lunch so usually have an early dinner. In evening kids like to swim or go tubing or if we did not fish during the day we may go out for two hours or so.

Kids like a fire after dark and so do I. Sitting around a fire is a good time to talk with kids.

In evening we watch John Wayne westerns, especially True Grit, the best western he made IMHO. (Who doesn't get a kick out of "Fill your hand, you SOB?" or watching Glenn Campbell try to be a Texas Ranger). A cold beer or other beverage may be consumed. I also try to read a book or two during the week.

Very seldom fish more than four hours per day unless we have hired a guide for the day.

Cash 03-22-2012 11:16 AM

Usually something like this:

6-7 am - get up, have coffee and a light breakfast. Make sandwiches, pack coolers, get bait etc. On the water by 7:30-8:00. Fish, hike, sightsee, all day. Rarely go back to camp unless the weather is really bad. Back to camp 5:30-6:00. Have a couple drinks, clean fish, make dinner, do the dishes. Maybe a card game. In bed by 11:00. One night a week we usually go into town for dinner.