Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members Fishing Reports (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mississippi River Reports - Can it be Possible to sustain a thread? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201567)

houndog 08-31-2012 01:03 PM

Mississippi River Reports - Can it be Possible to sustain a thread?

Seems to me that I can get a fairly accurate fishing report (here or on other sites) for about any water EXCEPT the Mississippi.

Whats the matter? Do those who fish Big Muddy know how to type?

Maybe everybody is hallucinating and believing they are the only folks who know the "spot". Funny, when the bites on we're all within casting distance of one another...

We have one of the best fisheries in North America and everyone is so sure that it could be fished out that no one will share information?

I'm hoping to get out over the weekend and I'm sure the bite will be the normal early September - very few bites but I'll commit to share what I learn.

Is there anyone else out there that's willing?

Let's help each other out! In the words of Red Green, "We're all in this together!"

houndog

jeffbilodeau 08-31-2012 07:02 PM

What part of the Mississippi are you talking about? If it's pool 3 or 4 and later this fall I would participate.

houndog 08-31-2012 07:43 PM

I'd like to think there are enough walleye fishermen to report from pool 2 down to Pool 18 or 19? I fish from Red Wing Mn to Burlington Ia. I can't be the only one who likes to see new sights and explore new waters.

Maybe a little competition from north to south could be fun reading?

GreatWhiteNorth517 09-01-2012 04:29 AM

[QUOTE=houndog;1481640]Seems to me that I can get a fairly accurate fishing report (here or on other sites) for about any water EXCEPT the Mississippi.

Maybe everybody is hallucinating and believing they are the only folks who know the "spot". Funny, when the bites on we're all within casting distance of one another...

For starters, there are lots of spots. I have had the bite on and not seen another boat. If you are referring to the bumper boat scenario below the dam North of Evert's, that's a small piece of the puzzle.

houndog 09-01-2012 07:07 AM

No, there are a lot of times when the sloughs, cuts and chutes are holding feeding fish. My point is that the method, channel or not, depth, bait and color may be close between pools and we could help each other out.

I'm not suggesting that everyone post their GPS location just throw out what's going on, when and in general where.

bigbear40 09-01-2012 11:08 AM

Fished pool 15 the other day. Target fish was walleye but caught several smallmouth on yellow bucktail and fathead minnow, Largemouth on shad rap crankbaits and several channel cats in the 5 to 6 pound class on slip bobber and nightcrawler. All fish were holding on rip rap. Unfortunately no walleye.

houndog 09-02-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks Big Bear 40! I'm planning to fish 16 or 17 today and tomorrow! Will let you know how we do!

S.Larson 09-02-2012 09:14 AM

I grew up near the Mississippi,.....

Most of the river rat's I know won't see boo about much of anything, Let alone how the fishing is,...........

houndog 09-03-2012 07:03 PM

Fished Pool 17 on Sunday the 2nd. Bite was very poor given the weather condidtions. Water temp was 78 degrees. Tried everything from cranks to jigs/minnow and crawlers.

houndog 09-03-2012 07:12 PM

We fished Pool 13 today - Fishing is slow as one would expect but we did pull a few eyes from 16 FOW on scented grubs and jigs. Spots were all close to fallen trees, rock and mud bottom close to breaks with good current. Most were between 16 and 20 inches. Chartreuse and Black Grubs - 3" with 1/4 oz. jigs. Tried other colors and cranks also but the walleyes only liked one bait one way! We also tried wing dams and the tailwater but neither produced eyes, only flatheads.

Water level at Bellevue was 3.5 with close to 19k for flow. Ramp in town is a little tricky of you have a large boat at this level it's predicted to drop another 6 inches over the next week.

houndog