Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Replacing trailer wheel studs (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604554)

Willey walleye 03-18-2017 07:43 AM

Replacing trailer wheel studs

So I just had the tires replaced on our 1987 shorelander trailer and the guys at discount tire said they couldn't torque the lugs properly because the studs were bad. I tried retorquing when I got home and my torque wrench never clicked no matter how much I pushed on it. I'm thinking they used the air gun instead of the actual wrench and they messed up the studs.

Anyway, I need to replace them. I've watched a few youtube clips and think I can handle it. I just have a few questions for anyone with experience with this sort of thing. Where do I jack up the trailer, on the frame? Axel? I'm guessing frame, but thought I'd make sure.

Is there a standard sized stud that I should purchase? I used a 3/4 socket on the current lugs if it matters. Also, the lugs on the wheels right now don't look like a typical lugnut. They just look like an ordinary old nut. Are there special lugnuts I need to get for an old trailer like this? I have pictures of the wheel/nuts if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, I just have to figure out how to post a picture, lol.

Thanks in advance guys.

WW

outdoorsron 03-18-2017 08:00 AM

Hello: I would remove one and take it to the parts store and get the same ones unless you think they are too short. As far as lug nuts I always thought they are a special type nut , that's why they are called lug nuts. The auto parts store should be able to help you with that too. Good Luck. O - R

Shellback 03-18-2017 08:03 AM

If you can get the tire off when jacking under the axle, go that way. Otherwise you may need a higher lift jack, or have to go up in stages with blocking. Normally you would drive the stud out the back of the hub. If your's is this way, drive one out and go to your local auto parts store, have them match it up. Then get enough with matching nuts to do the job.

yarcraft91 03-18-2017 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You said the nuts on your trailer wheels don't look like lug nuts. Every lug nut I ever recall seeing has a taper on one side like the ones in this photo. Are you saying the wheel nuts on your trailer do not have that taper?

NailsWI 03-18-2017 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=Shellback;5405474]If you can get the tire off when jacking under the axle, go that way. Otherwise you may need a higher lift jack, or have to go up in stages with blocking. Normally you would drive the stud out the back of the hub. If your's is this way, drive one out and go to your local auto parts store, have them match it up. Then get enough with matching nuts to do the job.[/QUOTE]

Maybe before you even start with that project, consider installing new hubs, unless the existing hubs are still in good shape.
Whichever direction the studs come out, tighten two nuts together and turn the studs out. Dont be in a big hurry, soak the studs with penetrating oil, use some heat if necessary(minimal). Take a stud to the auto parts store and have them match them up for you. A set of studs should come with the proper lug nuts.

REW 03-18-2017 09:02 AM

x10 on the Comment by Sails.

When I have run into similar situations with vehicles as well as trailers; I pick up new hubs - with new studs and nuts and after installing don't look back.

Hubs are inexpensive and they will solve the problem long term.

Whenever I have someone else helping me with a tire change, we always use the impact wrench to remove the lug nuts.

But, whenever the tires and lug nuts are replaced, I always instruct and do it myself, by starting every lug nut by hand for at least 3-5 turns. Then, I turn the force on the impact down to the minimum setting. With the minimum setting, I run up all of the lug nuts.

Then, we drop the wheel back onto the ground and tighten the nut with the torque wrench - going cross hub as we do.

Then, a final once around all of the lug nuts with the torque wrench set to the proper setting.

If someone has accidentally used the impact wrench with a higher setting and I can't get the torque wrench to click, because the nut has been over tightened, I will loosen the nut a turn or two; and then use the torque wrench to tighten it back to its correct setting.

Take care

yarcraft91 03-18-2017 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=NailsWI;5405554]Maybe before you even start with that project, consider installing new hubs, unless the existing hubs are still in good shape.
[B]Whichever direction the studs come out, tighten two nuts together and turn the studs out.[/B] Dont be in a big hurry, soak the studs with penetrating oil, use some heat if necessary(minimal). Take a stud to the auto parts store and have them match them up for you. A set of studs should come with the proper lug nuts.[/QUOTE]

I believe the studs in the Shorelander hubs are pressed into the hub, not threaded into it.

To the OP- your experience is the reason I pull trailer tires off my boat trailers and cars and then take the wheels to a tire store for tire replacement. I'd rather do the lug nut removal/installation myself without involving an impact wrench.

Willey walleye 03-18-2017 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=yarcraft91;5405546]You said the nuts on your trailer wheels don't look like lug nuts. Every lug nut I ever recall seeing has a taper on one side like the ones in this photo. Are you saying the wheel nuts on your trailer do not have that taper?[/QUOTE]

They may have a small bit of taper? I'll have to take one off an have a look. It is really hard to see any taper with them tightened down.

Willey walleye 03-18-2017 09:31 AM

How difficult is it to replace the hubs? My only experience with hub removal was on my wife's car and I couldn't get the **** things off and ended up having to bring it into a shop.

This may be a dumb question, but to remove the hub, does the bearing assembly need to be taken apart first?

Thanks for all the answers and help so far.

billy weaver 03-18-2017 09:47 AM

Taper on nut

The taper on the nut is made to match the taper on the rim. If the nut is too flat it won't contact the rim properly.