Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Battery - AGM, Jel, Glass, which one? Charger? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192019)

WalleyeSD 03-05-2012 08:34 PM

Battery - AGM, Jel, Glass, which one? Charger?

Going with 101# Terrova on by soon to be order Ranger Angler 1860. But what which batteries? Planned use 6+ hours trolling day at 1.4 - 1.6+ mph.

And which on board Charger and Amp Size to should we get for overnight charge time of 7 hours. Thanks WalleyeSD

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 03-05-2012 09:37 PM

571 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=WalleyeSD;1403330]Going with 101# Terrova on by soon to be order Ranger Angler 1860. But what which batteries? Planned use 6+ hours trolling day at 1.4 - 1.6+ mph.

And which on board Charger and Amp Size to should we get for overnight charge time of 7 hours. Thanks WalleyeSD[/QUOTE]

Interstates. $110 plus or minus a few bucks.

Minn Kota MK460 charger. 15 amps per bank. No worries about over night charging.

Bobber Down 03-06-2012 09:22 AM

Interstate is a good choice but after doing some research I bought a Trojan SCS225. It was spendy but is supposed to perform better and handle many more cycles, that being said I have only used it for 3 months but so far so good. Good luck. Bobber

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 03-06-2012 09:37 AM

571 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Bobber Down;1403497]Interstate is a good choice but after doing some research I bought a Trojan SCS225. It was spendy but is supposed to perform better and handle many more cycles, that being said I have only used it for 3 months but so far so good. Good luck. Bobber[/QUOTE]

Keep us posted. I'd be interested in knowing how they hold up. Historically the AGMs were being replaced around the same time as the traditional batteries (same longevity).

wiredog 03-06-2012 10:12 AM

First you can never have too much battery power. But it is easy to not have enough. Get the biggest batts. that you can fit in. Next it depends on where they sit. How easy it is to check and add water and how often you will do it. Also consider the fumes that come from charging them. Now go and spend the extra money and buy good AGMs (not Cabalas) and buy a Dual Pro 15 amp charger they ARE the best. Now you can just fish and enjoy your hobby. Water filled batteries are a pain in the but!! Its not always about the cheapest or very best value, And yes AGMs last longer with WAY less hassle than TRADITIONAL batteries

Rippin Bite 03-06-2012 10:49 AM

So in that all being said, Which gel batterie is the best? agm -trogan or what else? 31 series, I need 5 batteries.

wiredog 03-06-2012 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=RyanJohnson;1403529]So in that all being said, Which gel batterie is the best? agm -trogan or what else? 31 series, I need 5 batteries.[/QUOTE]

AGM is not a brand it is a type. Gell batteries are not the same as AGMs. Don`t bother with gels they are too fussy. AGMs are the way to go. Sears Diehard Platinum, Odyssey, Trolling Thunder, Trojan AGMs. all are good. One of the very best is Northstar Batteries but hard to find and very expenseve. That is who made the Dual Pro batteries until Dual Pro got into money trouble and had to quit selling them. Wiredog

perchjerker 03-06-2012 12:31 PM

I had Trojans on my old boat.

To be honest I did not see any difference between them and the Delcos I had before.

I think they are over priced and over hyped.

Rippin Bite 03-06-2012 12:34 PM

[quote=wiredog;1403562]AGM is not a brand it is a type. Gell batteries are not the same as AGMs. Don`t bother with gels they are too fussy. AGMs are the way to go. Sears Diehard Platinum, Odyssey, Trolling Thunder, Trojan AGMs. all are good. One of the very best is Northstar Batteries but hard to find and very expenseve. That is who made the Dual Pro batteries until Dual Pro got into money trouble and had to quit selling them. Wiredog[/quote]

So you would recomend horth star 31 s agm's over the 31 s trogan agm?

REW 03-06-2012 01:53 PM

I have been using batteries plus group 31 for several years, with 0 issues.
I generally get 5-8 years of battery life on my batteries.

The group 31 batteries are about $85.

Take care
REW