Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strictly Fishing (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Inflatable Life Vests (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604210)

Mojo-NC 03-16-2017 10:27 AM

Inflatable Life Vests

Anyone who owns a boat should be aware of the safety requirements that are specific to their boat, such as carrying one approved Type I, II, or III PFD per person, and that you must also have a throwable Type IV device, fire extinguisher, etc. However, are you aware of the specific requirement of inflatable PFDs, as in they only count if they're being worn? As stated immediately below:

Only if the user complies with the approval conditions will the carriage requirement be met. Unlike the inherently buoyant wearable PFDs, which must be readily available, an inflatable PFD must be worn to meet the carriage requirement.

It's kind of a no-brainer if you think about it - I just hadn't previously thought about it. Just a heads-up, if you carry only enough PFDs to cover the occupants of your boat and yours is inflatable, you'd better be wearing it if you get checked.

:bangin:

Jfraze10 03-16-2017 10:40 AM

Not positive but I believe they may have just changed this law in my area to no longer require you to wear it to count.

[URL]http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10884_11578-37313--,00.html[/URL]

I read from a reputable source that Michigan no longer has the wear to count rule.
That it is treated like any other PFD.

Again... not 100%

Ozark Bob 03-16-2017 11:17 AM

It is good to actually read the rules! I can imagine the places the inflatables may end up getting stored away and not very accessible. I like mine to be the automatic kind in case of getting knocked out after falling. Would be a big waste of money if not wearing it anyway. I fish alone most of the time. Good to get info that many of us need,Thanks

pjshorthorn 03-16-2017 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=Mojo-NC;5401706]Anyone who owns a boat should be aware of the safety requirements that are specific to their boat, such as carrying one approved Type I, II, or III PFD per person, and that you must also have a throwable Type IV device, fire extinguisher, etc. However, are you aware of the specific requirement of inflatable PFDs, as in they only count if they're being worn? As stated immediately below:

Only if the user complies with the approval conditions will the carriage requirement be met. Unlike the inherently buoyant wearable PFDs, which must be readily available, an inflatable PFD must be worn to meet the carriage requirement.

It's kind of a no-brainer if you think about it - I just hadn't previously thought about it. Just a heads-up, if you carry only enough PFDs to cover the occupants of your boat and yours is inflatable, you'd better be wearing it if you get checked.

:bangin:[/QUOTE]

What regs were you reading ? Stateside or Canada ? The statement you posted makes sense,but curious where it came from.

PjShorthorn :rock-on:

Mojo-NC 03-16-2017 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=pjshorthorn;5401914]What regs were you reading ? Stateside or Canada ? The statement you posted makes sense,but curious where it came from.

PjShorthorn :rock-on:[/QUOTE]
The requirement applies to the US but may also be applicable to Canada as well - not sure. I looked it up after my brother was verbally informed of this requirement by an IL game warden. On page 10 of this boaters guide (see link), it states the following with the word "not" in red colored font:

Inflatable Life Jackets
They must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green or the device is not serviceable and does not satisfy the legal requirement for the wearable life jacket carriage requirement.

[url]http://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF[/url]

FishManDan 03-16-2017 01:08 PM

The Michigan reference does not say anything about TYPE V which is the group that inflatable belong. THEY MUST BE WORN or do not count.

From: [URL]https://www.boatus.org/life-jackets/types/[/URL]

[B]Type V – Special use life jackets:[/B]

[B]Intended Use:[/B]
Restricted to the special use for which each is designed, for example: sailboard harness, deck suit, paddling vest, commercial white water vest or float coats.
[B]Minimum Buoyancy:[/B]
15.5 to 22 lbs. for adult size.
[B]Additional Information:[/B]
Must be worn when underway to meet minimum US Coast Guard requirements. Simply having a Type V PFD on board will not meet the USCG carriage requirements.
[B]Type V – Automatic inflation models:[/B]

Restricted to the one use for which it is designed, ex. belt pack, deck suit, float coat.
22.5 to 34 lbs. depending on style.
Must be worn to meet federal requirements.
Not guaranteed to turn an unconscious wearer face-up. Some manufacturers claim Type II performance. Some models feature a combination of CO2 inflation and built-in foam and provide 15.5 to 22 lbs. of buoyancy.
[B]Type V – Hybrid Inflation and some special notes:[/B]

Models recommended for boating activities where rescue is nearby and must be worn when underway.
Have 7.5 lbs. of built-in foam buoyancy and can be inflated to 22 lbs.
More comfortable to wear than Type I or Type II, but are inadequate for unconscious overboard victims.
[B]Inflation Mechanism: [/B]When activated, a CO2 cartridge is pierced, releasing gas to inflate the device. Water-activated models inflate automatically when submerged in water.
Manual units are activated by yanking a pull-tab. Both types of inflatables feature blow-tubes to provide a back-up method of inflation. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for checking and maintaining your inflation mechanism.

PatSea 03-17-2017 07:48 AM

One of the reasons they must be worn to count is that they are impossible to put on once they have inflated. Last year I jumped in the water with my West Marine auto inflatable on to experience what happens when they inflate. When inflated they completely surround the head area. There is no way in he** a person could put that on once inflated.

Hunter5117 03-19-2017 05:19 AM

[QUOTE=PatSea;5403538]One of the reasons they must be worn to count is that they are impossible to put on once they have inflated. Last year I jumped in the water with my West Marine auto inflatable on to experience what happens when they inflate. When inflated they completely surround the head area. There is no way in he** a person could put that on once inflated.[/QUOTE]

I carry a non-inflating jacket just in case I have to get out of the boat for some reason.

I can't swim, and 2 years ago I got caught up on a sand bar (**** impoundments and water levels, loL) and had to walk my boat out to deeper water. I almost jumped out wearing my auto-inflating jacket which would have just added insult to injury. Ended up having to get out without any jacket which made me pretty nervous. So now, my old jacket is always in the boat.

Ozark Bob 03-19-2017 08:23 AM

Not all are type V

[QUOTE=FishManDan;5402258]The Michigan reference does not say anything about TYPE V which is the group that inflatable belong. THEY MUST BE WORN or do not count.

From: [URL]https://www.boatus.org/life-jackets/types/[/URL]

[B]Type V – Special use life jackets:[/B]

Restricted to the special use for which each is designed, for example: sailboard harness, deck suit, paddling vest, commercial white water vest or float coats.
15.5 to 22 lbs. for adult size.
Must be worn when underway to meet minimum US Coast Guard requirements. Simply having a Type V PFD on board will not meet the USCG carriage requirements.
[B]Type V – Automatic inflation models:[/B]

Restricted to the one use for which it is designed, ex. belt pack, deck suit, float coat.
22.5 to 34 lbs. depending on style.
Must be worn to meet federal requirements.
Not guaranteed to turn an unconscious wearer face-up. Some manufacturers claim Type II performance. Some models feature a combination of CO2 inflation and built-in foam and provide 15.5 to 22 lbs. of buoyancy.
[B]Type V – Hybrid Inflation and some special notes:[/B]

Models recommended for boating activities where rescue is nearby and must be worn when underway.
Have 7.5 lbs. of built-in foam buoyancy and can be inflated to 22 lbs.
More comfortable to wear than Type I or Type II, but are inadequate for unconscious overboard victims.
[B]Inflation Mechanism: [/B]When activated, a CO2 cartridge is pierced, releasing gas to inflate the device. Water-activated models inflate automatically when submerged in water.
Manual units are activated by yanking a pull-tab. Both types of inflatables feature blow-tubes to provide a back-up method of inflation. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for checking and maintaining your inflation mechanism.[/QUOTE]
I have a Mustang vest. It is a type 2 that will turn you over face up. US coast guard Aux. rule states inflatables must be worn to count in the total onboard.

kzoofisher 03-19-2017 08:41 AM

The whole reason I bought inflateable's is that they are so comfortable no one minds wearing them all the time. They weren't legal for my kids before they turned 16 so I kept the old style in the boat but they wore the new ones all the time anyway. We're all good swimmers and on small lakes within 50 yards of shore 90% of the time. That 10% when we are on big lakes and the early late season when the water is below 55 make having a jacket on 100% mandatory. Just so the habit forms I make the rule 100% of the time no matter what the lake is like.