Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wenasaga Lake (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75788)

Mr. Walleye 09-04-2006 11:47 AM

Wenasaga Lake

How does the fishing here compare to LacSeul? Has anybody stayed at Wenasaga Lodge or been to their outposts? How was fishing, accomodations, etc.? Thanks.

Mr. Walleye 09-05-2006 07:37 PM

RE: Wenasaga Lake

Anyone???

Mohleye 09-06-2006 08:51 AM

For whatever it's worth, I have a buddy who was at Wenasaga in early August, and he said they had a great trip. Another buddy stayed at their Jubilee Lake outpost a few years ago, and they had a good trip also. If you want more info, send me an email, and I'll forward it to them, and they can answer your questions directly.

As far as the fishing comparing to Lac Seul, you're talking about small lakes vs a huge system. Kind of a hard comparison to make.

little kansas 09-06-2006 07:40 PM

I have friends that have I cabin on the lake so I have been fishing there for 15 years. The last 4-5 years we have been loading up and going to Lac Seul for most of the week. You can catch plenty of 15-17 inchers but for good quality fish you need to go to Lac Seul. Wenasaga is an easy lake to fish. The best spots are the big island, upper falls, mouth of the river, Gull Rock, and the lower falls. It is not a very good northern lake. You can catch them but I have had weeks where I will not catch one at all.

Mr. Walleye 09-07-2006 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info!

Cough 09-08-2006 12:18 AM

FYI...there is a small "colony" of private cabins on the lake besides the one resort and hardly a week that those cabins are empty. The owners can not "rent" these out since there is a resort on the lake, but friends and family can contribute to their "upkeep" fund. That said, the small lake sees plenty of pressure. Have caught a lot of nice walleyes above and below the falls, few northerns.

crnhzkr 09-23-2006 09:12 PM

I took my wife and two boys (11 and 8 yo) on our first "family" canadian trip to Wenesaga in late July of this year. I'd guess there are about three dozen privately-owned cabins on the lake, along with the sole resort. It's not a big lake, by Canadian standards. We had a great time. Good numbers of walleyes around the 15" - 18" range, but nothing big. The largest we caught on Wenesaga were a couple of 22 inchers. There's a beautiful falls if you follow the river at the upper end of the lake. My kids had a great time casting for northern along the falls, and also at the rapids going out of the lake. They have a really nice lodge with satelite TV and WI-FI with an internet station available. They also provide minnows, which is practically unheard of. Cabins were quite nice and clean.

The highlight of the trip was when we took one day and went to one of their out-lakes. Slate Lake is loaded with walleye. They have an fly-in outpost on Slate, but you can drive to it, if you want to bad enough. We took our mini-van (I'll take my 4x4 pickup next time), and it was rough to get to. Slate is about 50 miles by gravel road, then you turn onto an old logging road. This road was pretty rough with over-grown brush and rocks to navigate through (my wife wasn't too excited about taking her new mini-van through the brush, but we inched our way through it). Once you get to the end of the road, there's still about 3/4 of a mile to haul your gear down a path to the lake. They have two 16' boats and a shed containing 6hp motors and gas. We spent way too much time exploring the lake with that dinky 6hp outboard, but the 4 - 6 hours we actually fished were great. My 8 yo picked up a 25" walleye in the morning. Right toward the end of the day, I snagged a 36" pike while walleye fishing with bouncers and spinners, but I was outdone by my 11 yo about 15 minutes later when he thought he was snagged, but ultimately revealed a monster 40" pike. That was a great day. I really wanted my kids to have a great trip and this one day will be one they'll remember for the rest of their lives. I've tried to convince my kid that caught the big pike that this is very rare and that I had to fish for many years before I caught a pike that size. Now he expects a fish that size every time I take him.

jdavis078 05-27-2013 10:59 PM

I'm going up June first. We are staying at the main base camp. it's there anything I should know our to make sure to bring?