Walleye Message Central

Walleye Message Central (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have. (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What to use for hearing protection? (https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148736)

PackerSmacker 12-29-2008 07:10 PM

What to use for hearing protection?

I have been using the ear muff type for hearing protection and that does not seem to be enough. That cuts down on the noise by about 24 db. What do you guys recommend?

yarcraft91 12-30-2008 08:00 PM

For all my target shooting, I use earmuff-type hearing protectors over foam ear plugs. The combination is very effective at reducing the noise. Either one alone just isn't enough for me. You are wise to protect your hearing.

PackerSmacker 12-30-2008 10:51 PM

[quote=yarcraft91;1070794]For all my target shooting, I use earmuff-type hearing protectors over foam ear plugs. The combination is very effective at reducing the noise. Either one alone just isn't enough for me. You are wise to protect your hearing.[/quote]

I tried the foam ear plugs and they were not all that comfortable. Do you use the orange or the yellow foam? It seems like the yellow foam might be softer and more comfortable?

I have found some 34 db muffs. I think that I will try those out also.

yarcraft91 12-31-2008 04:50 AM

I use the orange foam plugs, both Silencio and Howard Leight brands. The Silencios are shaped like a bullet, the Leights have a flare at one end. Both are available through typical sporting goods outlets. I prefer the Leights. You might try some other styles of earplugs to see if some are more comfortable- there are some shaped like cylinders, others that have a hard plastic handle with a foam dome on the end that goes into your ear and so on.

I wear eyeglasses. I find the temples of the glasses break the seal between the earmuffs and my head just enough to reduce the effectiveness of the muffs, so just going to a better set of muffs didn't make much difference for me. You can test how well your muffs seal by putting them on in a noisy environment, then pressing the muffs against your head. If the noise level drops when you press, the muffs aren't sealing completely. Good luck!

PackerSmacker 12-31-2008 06:23 AM

[quote=yarcraft91;1070813]I use the orange foam plugs, both Silencio and Howard Leight brands. The Silencios are shaped like a bullet, the Leights have a flare at one end. Both are available through typical sporting goods outlets. I prefer the Leights. You might try some other styles of earplugs to see if some are more comfortable- there are some shaped like cylinders, others that have a hard plastic handle with a foam dome on the end that goes into your ear and so on.

I wear eyeglasses. I find the temples of the glasses break the seal between the earmuffs and my head just enough to reduce the effectiveness of the muffs, so just going to a better set of muffs didn't make much difference for me. You can test how well your muffs seal by putting them on in a noisy environment, then pressing the muffs against your head. If the noise level drops when you press, the muffs aren't sealing completely. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the info. Perhaps my safety glasses are causing seal problems with the muffs. Any idea what brand works best with muffs?

yarcraft91 12-31-2008 03:48 PM

I wear prescription glasses, so can't help you much with the safety glasses question. I have some experience with full-face respirator fitting- people who need them for hazardous substance work don't typically wear standard-frame eyeglasses, rather prescription goggles with an elastic strap. The respirators seal against the elastic, where they often do not seal against an eyeglass temple. Can you find safety glasses that use an elastic strap? Might help the earmuff seal.

I have tried several kinds of earmuffs and have a similar problem with all of them. The wider the sealing surface the better they work for me. My best results so far are with Silencio Magnums.

tbomn 01-01-2009 09:39 PM

[quote=PackerSmacker;1070808]I tried the foam ear plugs and they were not all that comfortable. Do you use the orange or the yellow foam? It seems like the yellow foam might be softer and more comfortable?

I have found some 34 db muffs. I think that I will try those out also.[/quote]

I use the 34db muffs and they work really well. Yesterday I was a the range and was shooting next to a guy shooting the new Ruger Redhawk Alaskan using 454 Casull ammo.....wow!!! These weren't enough for that cannon, but they work well for everything I shoot....22lr, 9mm, and 45ACP.

PackerSmacker 01-02-2009 11:39 AM

[quote=tbomn;1071117]I use the 34db muffs and they work really well. Yesterday I was a the range and was shooting next to a guy shooting the new Ruger Redhawk Alaskan using 454 Casull ammo.....wow!!! These weren't enough for that cannon, but they work well for everything I shoot....22lr, 9mm, and 45ACP.[/quote]

I have a pair of the 34 db muffs on order. I will give those a shot. I was playing around with muffs and safety glasses and I noticed that certain muffs seal around the safety glasses better than others. Shooting indoors is louder than outdoors.

I tried a different brand of muffs today and they did a lot better.

PackerSmacker 02-16-2009 08:41 PM

It is more about the safety glasses

[quote=PackerSmacker;1070638]I have been using the ear muff type for hearing protection and that does not seem to be enough. That cuts down on the noise by about 24 db. What do you guys recommend?[/quote]

I found out that the safety glasses make a big difference. Some have thick frames and others skinny frames. The skinny framed glasses give the muffs a better seal. For me the 34 db muffs don't do as well as some of the tighter fitting 25s.

KHedquist 02-17-2009 04:35 AM

At work they recommend plugs and ear muffs, I work at a couple of places that are loud enough at the end of the day your body actually hurts, and that is what I wear on my melon.