Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Drift Sock
Thread: Drift Sock
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Slot Fish

I also use drift socks as most of you have said but there is also 1 other reason everyone should have a good sized one on your boat even if you dont like to use them for fishing and would use a trolling plate or some other means to control your boat. I spent a tour in the USCG and can tell you countless stories of (if you had one this would not have happened)
It seems our boats want to break down when the wind and waves pick up if this happens take a drift sock and put it out the front of the boat with a long lead on it as it will allow the front of your boat to ride up and down without holding it down and thus will keep your bow facing into the seas and prevent your boat from going sidways in the waves or turning stern first and waves coming over the back and swamping your boat which is usally the lowest part of your boat. this can bye you a long time riding out the seas till help can get to you. saftey first and fishing second remember you can always fish another day if you come back alive.
I thank God every day for our freedom and for our Armed Forces, Pray for their safety each day and thank them for their selfless time and sacrifice to our country. Without them where would our nation be? THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. ~Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935