Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecatcher01 View Post
Im wanting to upgrade my cheap vise to something that can be rotated while still keeping hold of the jig. I looked at janns net craft and they are sold out of about everything. So I would appreciate some suggestions on brands or stores where can pick up a vice along with other jig making/tying stuff.
I'm think about a terra rotating spring action....wanting to stay under 50 bucks.
There are lots of decent vises under 50 bucks that do exactly what you want. Sure, there are expensive vices but they offer the ability to hold hooks that are very small to quite large. Some expensive vices will not hold a large hook very well. Some inexpensive vices hold jigs very well but do not hold small hooks well.

I've been making flies for over 35 years and my vise cost me about 30 dollars. The pin that held the lever for tightening the jaws of the vise broke almost right away...lol. I just changed the pin and put a small drill bit in it's place. Has been working ever since. However, it does not hold tiny hooks perfectly and does not hold very large hooks perfectly either. I still manage to make flies, streamers, tandem streamers, bugs, jigs, dress treble hooks etc anyway.