Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - 1993 Johnson 120
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Default 120 HP= good motor

If I recall, they built both a 115 crossflow and the 120 looper in 1993. I remember the Fast Strike marketing label which was used on the larger engine also- and may have been a way of identifying the loop charged motors. Both the 115 and 120 hp motors were good runners with very little trouble. The only issues I recall was a slight carb jetting problem with the idles on the 120s- when you stopped a warm engine and let it sit for about 20 minutes the re-start sometimes would be a bit slow, and you had to let the motor idle for about 30 seconds before throwing it into gear or it would stall. The VROs would start to leak a little bit now and then and usually you could fix this by just tightening the screws near the leak point. My son has a '93 120 that he bought used from a relative who was never too kind to his motors. He's had it 2 seasons now with zero issues. There are several different spark plugs that at one time or another seemed to be "the best" for this engine, but all seemed to run pretty well. Don't be surprised if the plugs in the motor are different than what the dealer shows as current- and you may end up liking the old plug type better than the new one.
Doug