Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Bobber fishing for walleye
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting edge View Post
Lake Wisconsin & StrutNut,
I am just curious, as to what the advantages of casting out as far as you can from the boat are? For me, the advantages of keeping the bobber close to the boat are 1. much better hookset ability. 2. better depth control (knowing exactly what depth my bobber is in & knowing how far off the bottom I am). 3. less problem with wind affecting line ( wind creates lots of slack, the further away the more slack to recover) 4. better visual awareness, to see what is happening, when being bit. Now, under certain situations (fishing pretty shallow on calm waters for example) I will cast further than usual, but for the most part the advantages to casting as far as possible doesn't make sense to me & I would like to know what benefits you gain by doing so, as I'm always willing to learn something new.

Good Luck!
I also use braid and cast my bobbers a mile.
1. With braid, you lose no hookset ability at distance.
2. Yes, you have to know your spot a little better, but a few casts with an ice fishing depth finder to different spots will tell you what you need to know on depth.
3. Wind: normally if I am anchored I have two anchors in and two slip bobbers in. One slip bobber is held out with the wind, and I adjust it closer or farther. Wind does not affect this bobber as there is no slack line.

The second bobber is casted out the bow or stern and allowed to drift with the wind. There can be slack line on this bobber. You have to carefully reel up the slack. A long rod (mine are 7-1/2') allows a large sweeping hookset that takes up a lot of line in a hurry.

So often your bobber gets hit as it comes into the same "spot". The farther you can cast, the more of these fish holding mini-spots you can hit.