Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - White road paint on car, what will remove
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: White road paint on car, what will remove

Morton,
Your idea on Diesel fuel reminds me of a camping story from my first new car. I had a new white car that I was using to pull a camping trailer that I had also painted a matching white.

We were going to go camping at an island in Lake Superior. I had talked to a fellow at work who told me where the camp ground was, and to ask about accomodations from the ferry boat captain.

I did so, and the captain indicated that there were only a couple spaces left on our trip over. So we quickly made our way toward the campground - with - it turned out - incorrect directions. We traveled 1 mile down a freshly oiled road, then back the same distance, before making the campground.

When we got to the campground, our children hopped out of the car and immediately got road oil on the new camping clothing. After registering, we made our way to the only service station on the island, and picked up 5 gallons of diesel fuel. After scrubbing the car and trailer with diesel, and a rinse of soap and water we enjoyed the rest of the trip.

However, after getting home, we could see the line left by the road oil on the white car. Therefore, I went over the car and trailer again - on the gravel driveway with gasoline to get all of the oil out of the paint pores. Then, a very very very good scrub with hot soap and water and a hard wax and buff finished off the job.

The one good thing was that the road oil did a great job of making the car quieter as well as rust proofing the car. After running the car for 10 years, no problems with rust before selling it.

Yes, any type of diluant - as my chemist friend would say - that is a substance that will mix with the parent material and dilute it can be used to remove the final product. Of course when there is a chemical cure involved, as is the case with drying paint, or curing epoxy, then the situation changes. This is where heat, or paint remover is called for to rid yourself of the problem.

Take care
REW