Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Dealing with the loss of your hunting buddy.
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Keeper

Default Loss of a hunting buddy.

As a dog breeder and hunter we have all gone through this and it is not easy. My wife and i raised brittanies for 37 years and with us owning 9 for ourselves we have gone through this enough. We always watched who we sold puppies to and wanted references from possible owners of our pups. We did turn down close to 10 people over the 37 years just because we did not feel as though the dog was going to a good owner. It is one of the hardest things to do for a owner of a dog or cat. I had open heart surgery and came home only to find out that my youngest dog had a growth close to her heart and a small part of it was growing on the heart itself. After 3 weeks of treatment and $3200.00 later i still brought her home in a box. Two months later i had to put her mother down because of her age. These were mother and daughter and they slept with the wife and i but were hunting dogs the next day. I can tell you something about each of my dogs and this is what i remember them for just the way they something extra during the hunting trip. We both shed tears when the time comes but just remember to think of the positive things you had with your buddy. If someone tells you they do not shed a tear then that person was not a buddy to his best buddy. Hope this helps all that has gone through this time heals and it does get better.

Oh yes we no longer own a dog i take care of the neighbors dog i don't think i could go through another one.