Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Entry into Canada update
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Kind of interesting, first time I crossed the border since March 1 when this new policy went into effect. I've been crossing at the same border, for 15 years, haven't missed a single year, and recently it's most likely 4-6 crossings a year. For the first time - ever - the questions I was asked at the border were much different than ever before.

Question: Have I ever been finger-printed - for any reason? My answer - yes.

Question: Why? - My answer - the department of homeland security will not allow me to have a haz mat endorsement on my commercial driver's license without first finger-printing me and running a background check.

Question Have you ever been convicted of (blah, blah, blah), or a DUI? Answer - No.

Question - Ever? My answer - Never. (my thoughts were didn't we just go through this? But, reminding a CC dude we just went over that same point might be a bad way to answer...).

In the previous 15 years, with over 30+ visits - I have never been asked if I have previously had a DUI. Makes me think there may have been a reason they never asked before... Even the 2 times I was pulled into immigration - they never asked.

Will be interesting to see what the line of questioning will be like when I go back later this week. Will they ask specifically about being arrested, DUI again? Then - it would appear there is a definite change in approach at the border crossing I use.

Almost like they didn't want to know the answer before, and now they do.