Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Why are OEM oil filters costly?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler53 View Post
I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use the Pennzoil but no one stocks around here. I've found it at Wal-Mart a few times but there's never more than 2 or 3 quarts on the shelf.

You say you change every one hundred hours. I only ran 107 hours the fist year on my motor. The oil I changed out last week was 6 months and 35 hours and it was without doubt in need of change. I'm setting mine up on 3 months or 25 hours, so I need something more economical.

I read the article on the Hull Truth about filters. I came away convinced that the Denso filter is superior. It's not superior enough to pay $32 for one, though. I gave $16 for one last week and that's still a little steep for an oil filter. You look on Denso website and $6.95 is the most expensive automotive oil filter they advertise.

I can't find a cross reference for the Yamaha 69J, but still trying. I know a lot of car engines have side flow filters so I would just about bet that there is an alternative. I took the filter to the Toyota parts counter and they couldn't find anything to cross reference with #115010-6001 on the filter.

Good running little motor, I'm well pleased with it.

Cross reference choices for the F150:

These Oil Filters
have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
8 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

Recommended filters in blue.
Available filters include
  • Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
  • Mobil1 M1-102
  • Bosch 3330
  • AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
  • Baldwin B1413
  • Fram PH6022, PH6065A
  • Hastings LF576
  • NAPA 1348
  • Purolator ML16822
  • WIX 51348

Many Yamaha ATV's and OHV's use the same filters as the outboards.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy

Last edited by tbomn; 11-23-2008 at 09:27 AM.