Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Mahkwa Lodge
Thread: Mahkwa Lodge
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 PM
IA Walleye

Default RE: Mahkwa Lodge

Cannot comment on Mahkwa, as I have never stayed there, but its just east of the lodge we stay at by about 10 - 12 miles (SWWL). We will be there this year from June 14 - 21.

You will enjoy the fishing in the area. From what I understand, Vaughn will open June 15 (but check the regs to be sure). I have not fished that in a number of years because its just too long of a ride from SWWL and you pass by water that holds fish on the way there.

I would recommend you check out the SWWL website and read their fishing reports (they have several years worth posted). By checking out a couple of years of reports for the time frame you are going you can figure out what you need to do from a fishing perspective. I could give you my insights, but I am no pro. I will say that at that time of the year, I would work the wind blown points/shorelines starting in 7 feet of water and working deeper until you hit fish. Everything will depend on the weather and this year it might be a slightly later spring than normal. Also the water level matters and I think this year is suppose to be normal to slightly above normal.

Jigs and spinners are what 99% of people use on LS at that time of the year, but don't overlook tossing a crank which allows you to pick up more northerns and bass for a variety of excitment.

Cheers... IA Walleye