Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - How do I teach my lab to retrieve--and drop?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 AM
AmateurTrainer

Default RE: How do I teach my lab to retrieve--and drop?

Dennis,

What you are experiencing is normal stuff and not difficult to change. You are in the very beginning of training and are experiencing the first problems a novice runs into. I could give you advice on how to deal with it. However, you will get through this period merely to run into other problems along your path to having a fully trained dog. Fortunately there is a lot help available without forking out big bucks for a professional training.

Get hold of the book "Gun Dog" by Richard Wolters. I got mine through e-bay some years ago. I think there is a video tape version of it out as of 2 years ago -- and there probably is a DVD now too.

Also get the book "The Working Retreivers" by Tom Quinn. Wolters' book was written before he embraced the need for "force training" and therefore does not deal with the subject. He later did embrace the technique but his book doesn't contain any instructions regarding it. The Quinn book does.

I have now trained 4 dogs as both pets and hunters using these techniques. They really work.