Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - FLW Championship.... Problem?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: FLW Championship.... Problem?

I think we are pretty much on the same page Kolby. I am just trying to make the point that if we blindly follow what they say it may be a case of the blind leading the blind. I may have a degree in journalism, but I did ace my college biology and conservation courses and I got a healthy dose of skepticism while doing it.;)

There are times when we need to be cheerleaders for the DNR and ther eare others when we need to hold their feet to the fire.

Here's something for you to follow up on... and it might be a good thing to send a writer out to do this story... Why did Iowa discontinue its stocking of saugeye in southern Iowa reservoirs? I asked this question of one biologist and I was told that they simply didn't do well. There must be more to the story than this.

Ohio has had remarkable success with saugeyes in reservoirs nearly identical to many of those in the southern 1/3 of Iowa. Saugeyes are a lot hardier, more aggressive, take warm water better, survive weigh-ins better and are easier to catch (IMHO) than walleyes. This is worth looking into. Maybe they made a premature decision to go back to stocking pure walleyes.