Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Fishin' Fashion: Long sleeved shirts for hot weather?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
With that hat on and a flannel do you look like Bill Murry from Caddy Shack?????I used to have one but left it in a hotel room after a fishing trip I miss that hat.

FC
Yeah ! That's me ! .....Even with that expression too when I just lost a big one.

Re the cotton flannels.. I never get overheated in them, I'm always very comfortable,and keeps me covered well.

I still don't get the "cotton is rotten" philosophy. Just did a little research. There are plenty cotton "fishing shirts" being sold,some even with UPF ratings.
Even in Cabelas buyers guide for fishing shirts, though they had a couple of downsides ,mostly only because of durability,here is what said:

" Cotton has the benefit of a soft, comfortable feel. It is also the most breathable fabric. Drawbacks include its tendency to shrink or fade and its slow-drying properties".

I see some of these "fishing shirts" also being sold are made of Nylon. Here's what they said about that:
"Nylon was the first completely synthetic fiber ever developed. Known for its superior strength and excellent resilience, nylon has superior abrasion resistance and high flexibility. The feel of nylon is not as soft as other fabrics. Because it is a synthetic, nylon has a tendency to make you feel "warmer" compared with a natural fiber like cotton."
So how is THAT of benefit??

So other than some of the "super fabrics" which to me only look like the only significant advantage is SOME increased UPF which definitely I see could be something to look into, as far as comfort,,,I still don't see much downside to cotton for warm weather in non athletic activities. Also an FYI ..DARK clothing filters UV better than light colored.