Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Best Spinning Reel for the Money
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaR View Post
Well, I guess it depends. Is a $300 reel three times better than a $100 reel? At what dollar value to you begin seeing deminishing returns for your money?
I believe that there is less of a gap in quality in reels that are over, say $150 through $300 than there is for reels from $30 through $150.

There are many reels that fall in the $30 to $80 range that will "do the job", for a while. From $80 to $150 there are quite a few that should cost less because of quality.

Choosing a reel is like choosing any other item, first, what are you going to use it for. Second, how much do you want to spend. Third, how long do you want to last.

I think most anglers choose reels in the $30 to $150 range. The less expensive end of that range will provide reels that are general use, less expensive, and will last several years with limited use. On the other end of that range there are reels that are more specific in their use, are somewhat more expensive, and will last several years with excessive use.

Personally, I have never paid more than $140 for a reel. I have many that fall in the $70 to $120 range, and they work well for everything I bought them for.

I have paid a high price for a few that were not worth the money, and I have a few that were less expensive that seem to last for ever.

If you are looking for brands, I own Abu Garcia, Penn, Daiwa, and a couple Cabelas LW linecounters that work very well for leadcore.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy