Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Entry into Canada update
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Keeper

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jball View Post
Not to hijack this thread but last year a group of my college friends (8 of us) planned a fly in fishing trip to Red Lake Ontario. Each of us had budgeting spending 1750-2000 between the outfitter, food, fishing supplies, etc. About a month before the trip one of my friends was reading a board and saw something about DUI border crossings. Immediately he call me and explained that he had a refusal to blow (basically the same as a dui) 2 years ago. He made a mistake and got caught, plain and simple. I think all of us know at some point we could have been in his shoes. Either way this guy is a great guy with no other criminal history.

Since the charge was less than 3 years old he was banned from entering Canada under the previous dui laws. We all decided as a group that we would rather cancel the Canada trip and fish in the states and not leave him behind. We ended up going to Alaska.

Case and point is the law doesn't just hurt the guy with the dui. We could have easily spent 15k during our week stay in Ontario but because of that law we didn't. If this rumor is written into law it would allow people like me and my friends to spend money in your economy. I also hear rumors that the US had a reciprocating law that bans Canadians from entry. If that is true I also think that law should be changed immediately.

Just my 2 cents,
Jball
If I show up at the border with 6 friends and 1 of them gets turned away for a DUI, I'm dropping his butt off at the bus station and continuing on my way! His problem, not ours.............................
Yamaha T-8 high thrust kicker full controls
Lowrance HDS10

Last edited by jignminow; 03-19-2012 at 11:56 AM.