Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Electronics shut down-Voltage drop but...
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
Ok so I have an 05 620 with a 225 Vmax with a Cabelas Angler Group 27 starting battery. Battery puts out 950 CCA (1200 MCA). Only since I recently installed my LSS1 hub have I had issues where when I start my engine..the radio and dash sonar (HDS 10) restart. My LCX 27 at the bow seems fine. I'm guessing there is a voltage drop with the addition of my LSS1 sounder now and I'm looking at upgrading to a 3100 series with at least 1000 CCA. I think the 950 CCA should be fine for my engine but before I get a new battery wanted to run through all the options...

I also read on here somewhere that with some of the older rangers there were some grounding issues with the accessories switches causing the same issue and guys who re-grounded their sonars fixed the issue.

I've checked the battery leads at the motor to make sure they are snug and sanded all of the battery leads last night to ensure good connection.

Optimally, I wanted to have a dedicated battery just for starting, one for my electronics and then my 3 for my 36V system. Problem is where do you put a 5th battery?! Plus I only have a 4 bank charger so I don't know if I'd be ok without having a dedicated charger for the starter battery.
Your electronics is specified to run at voltages down to 10 volts. If it is resetting the voltage is dropping below this. When you are start your motor and your battery is weak it is possible to see the voltage drop at your electronics but they take relatively low current however if your battery is old or your connections are bad you will have problems. I would suggest that you look using a series 31 deep cycle for your main starting battery and it should be more than adequate to power all of your electronics, pumps, and lights. It will allow you to use your 4 bank charger without looking at an extra battery. I run a 24 volt system in my Ranger, 3 series 31 AGM's. I keep it plugged in when it is not in the water and I have never had to worry about power. I have 2 HDS's, LSS, Sonic Hub, LWX, and run pumps all the time and it cranks my engine everytime.