Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Are we selling ourselves short?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM
The Walleye Farmer

Question Why Buy The Cow

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" That old saying may have an application here.
Another saying would be, 'Whatever the market will bare".

One enterprising young co-angler that I once drew had what I perceived to be the the fanciest custom tournament shirt at a PWT rules meeting. In addition, he had a serious number of major sponsor logos virtually covering every square inch of the shirt. Front, back, sleeves and collar. I did notice however, he did not have a boat sponsor displayed anywhere on his shirt. So I asked him what kind of boat he ran? His reply, " I don't have a boat yet." So I asked him without a boat how he landed all the other sponsors he so proudly displayed? His reply. "I don't have any sponsors. I just had this shirt made so if I do good in this tournament and get my picture taken on stage I am going to send the photos to these companies and see if they will send me some free stuff!"

Another angler this year spent over $2500.00 of his own money to wrap his boat! In the hope that down the road he would be able to land either bigger discounts from his sponsors or additional product. Maybe even a job. Perhaps also giving the appearance that his "sponsors" were taking better care of him than what they were to his fellow anglers and the public.

I could give other examples, but they would all just lead us back to my original question.

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"