Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Ice Shanty Construction
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 03:20 PM
MarcoPolo

Default Ice Shanty Construction

I am about to undertake the building of a new ice fishing shanty for the first time. I wished I had one all last winter, but winter is not the time to build one. There is precious little info on this topic on the internet. There is one site that is linked in many places that offers a plan for $25, and there are some other (what I would consider) goofy pvc/tarp/hoop hut jobs. I want to build a 6'x8' shanty, all wood, not collapsible. Anyone have any links to good pictures or plans that I don't know about? Two of the things I am debating most are the runners/skids and fashioning some kind of tow bar. As far as the skids, I am currently planning on using treated 2"x10"'s with 2"x4" floor joists. As far as the tow bar, right now I'm planning on going to my local steel fabricator for ideas. Overall, lightweight is more important than insulation to me. I want to be able to have myself and another guy be able to slide it on and off a snowmobile trailer. Any help, ideas, opinions or advice in any area of shanty construction would be greatly appreciated.