Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Getting a slow death rig through the weeds?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

Opus Dog,

We have been doing pretty good with weed walleyes in our home lake. Most of the time we use either a slow death rig with a butterfly blade or a two hook crawler rig with a small blade, and sometimes a spinner rig and minnow. We are finding out that when they aren't biting on the weed edges that we may need to go into the weed beds more towards shore. That's when you need to vary your weight and/or speed to skim the weed tops. The fish will come up to feed on it. Also instead of a bottom bouncer or keel sinker go with a more weedless type of sinker like a bullet weight. There's no doubt about it, a treble hook is just going to snag anything it comes in contact with. Whether you can get the same results with only a single hook or not only you can judge by trial and error, but maybe try using the standard slow death rig with just a single stinger hook. I recently ordered some Rapala Weedless shad lures. They are 2 3/4" @ 9/16 oz. and have a weedless single hook on the back not unlike a swim jig but with the weedless hook guard and a hard body. I got them on ebay from Europe as they are not yet available here, and while they are not cheap I think that they'll be just the ticket for casting to the weed walleyes. As far as trolling them, I'll have to see how they work. Good fishing, my friend.

andersaki

Last edited by andersaki; 12-30-2016 at 01:23 PM.