Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Boat owners must read....
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Minnow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I understand all gasoline in Brazil contained at least 20% ethanol, since 1993. In 2007, that was raised to 25%.

In defense of the engine-makers, they have been handed a nasty problem in the USA.

Congress has mandated a fixed volume of ethanol that must be sold every year through 2023, regardless how much total motor fuel is sold. The amount of ethanol increases every year. The engine-makers have a moving target, somewhere is the range of 2X to 3X the amount of ethanol in fuel that we have in the current market.

In a closed-loop control fuel injection system, the air-fuel ratio can be automatically adjusted to assure the engine runs properly. Carbureted and open-loop control systems (as most outboards have) cannot adapt to changing ethanol content- that requires re-jetting (carbs) or re-programming (open-loop computerized fuel injection). So, as an engine-maker, you either need to develop a closed-loop engine control system (e.g., O2 sensor) or else provide the customer with a way to adjust his fuel/air ratio when the fuel ethanol content changes (which would probably violate current USEPA rules).

As for the "older" motors- I would not want the job of explaining to someone who bought a new outboard in 2011 that it's not going to run on the fuels available 10 years later- and that's where we're headed.
Thanks!! I agree 100%. I own a 2008 Merc 250 XS and I am concerned as all should be. It would be nice to see decisions by gov. made with sound data not just political ones. Thanks again for your experienced words. Happy Fishing and hope retirement is good to you!