Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Are we selling ourselves short?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Slot Fish

Here's my $.02 worth,

If a guy is trying to break into the fishing tournament world and gain sponsors, he/she needs to have fished a few of them and placed somewhat decently. After a year or two, they start looking for sponsorship. This may come as product because of the lack of top finishes.

If you receive free product, you are in the door. Normally a sponsor would like to see your name at the top of the list or in several articles, mentioning their products. If you dont do any of that, why would you expect to see any cash.

Too many anglers think "OK, well i paid my money in this tourney and i want sponsorship dollars to wear your logo!!" Why would I pay you if you finish dead last or not very consistently? I need you to promote me and tell others how to use my products successfully, not just in tournaments, but as a weekend warrior as well.

The pro angler game isn't a get rich quick scheme and never was. Bass fishing maybe, but anybody can catch bass. I am talking about walleye tourneys.

An aspiring pro should wear his or her products logo if they are receiving them from the supplier to the store, to their local fishing club meetings as well as promote that company in articles.
When the angler is consistent and proves themselves worthy, then that's when the money comes, and not a lot of it. You may get your entry fees paid by one, lodging by another and gas from another--If you're lucky.

Your winnings will hopefully make you a profit.
This almost sounds like some of my employees at work.
They sat by a machine for one day and watched it run, and the next day they come to me asking for more money because they now know how to run the machine!!
No, you have seen it run, but havent experienced more than a few jobs. It takes time to experience different things and they aren't efficient yet. Why would I pay them more now?

Same thing with an angler that caught a fish. why pay them. if you like fishing, do it because you like fishing, not so you can make money. If you are waiting to just cash a check, you are going to be miserable for a long time.

good luck getting or keeping sponsors if you want the quick paycheck. there are plenty more out there that will play the game.