Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - The BIG Question.
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 12:50 PM
MarkG

Default RE: The BIG Question.

Hello all,,,I am not a tournament fisherman but have read this thread with interest. Though I dont know all the ins and outs of what it takes to "qualify" for the pro events,I would toss my 2Cents in here on the meaning of "Pro" . Pro=Money! If you are trying to use your skill for profit,whether your own,or someone else(your sponsor's) you are a Pro. Technicaly that is! Like the old sayings in NASCAR and NHRA Drag Racing racing.."Win on Sunday,sell on Monday". Why else are there all these sponsors?? If you are really any good at it or not, is a different issue,except for where your skill must at least be sufficiant to get into the show in most venues. That being said,it sounds like some of these "pro" circuits are making it too easy to compete. Seems that is an issue onto itself,rather than if one can be considered a "pro" or not. There really has evolved a double meaning to the word Pro . Many of us would like to reserve it for an individual who is skilled ,experienced,and has proven himself...."The Ole Pro". But the reality is,anyone who is trying to make a living at it,guiding,charters,tournaments,or promotions,must be considered a professional. (Maybe just not with a capital "P" ) But thats OK ! But as in racing,ALL pros should have to qualify for a major event,or at least maybe with some provisionals that would pre qualify one,based on prior finishes,not just being able to pop for the entry fee. Now here is a question I would raise Re RCL?? What is the mission of the RCL Tournament circuit?? To promote their products.Maybe thats why their "qualification" is not related to your skill and success,but rather to what products you own. There's the rub! PS... Walleye Express..When you saw Keith and Gary back then,Kieth was probably still working at IBM Rochester. Think he was an engineer or programer of somesort.