Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - First drive impressions and questions
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Keeper

Location: Illinois- Where there’s a good chance your license plates were made by a former Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post

If you're getting 34 mph and 6250 rpm, you are under-propped for the load you had. Raising the motor will increase WOT rpm. Consider moving to a 13 or 14 pitch prop after you raise the motor. I run a 13 on my 50 horse, good for 6000 rpm with just me and a normal fishing load in the boat.
Yar,
I suspected the WOT rpm would increase if I raised the motor. I chose props (one 3-blade Black Max and one 4-blade Spitfire) based on Merc's performance bulletins for the same boat and motor. No small investment for me. I'll be doing more testing. I need to get the boat fully loaded to see if I am truly under-propped. If I decide I need a different prop, how do you test drive props without buying them? And what to do with the 2 brand new ones I already have.

Thanks for the reply.

Rick