Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - 243 rifle
Thread: 243 rifle
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbalmer View Post
I was wondering about the "up the chute" shot myself. I can't believe any one would deliberately do that.

First, I’ve got to say that shooting an animal in the butt isn’t my preferred shot. Obviously, you’ll lose more meat than usual and cleaning the animal will definitely be memorable. But, have no doubt about it; with the right bullet in the right caliber, it’s a lethal shot.

So, why would someone take this shot? Wade B. gave one reason. Here’s another. Not every animal falls to a single shot. Sometimes, that second shot comes immediately and sometimes it comes after tracking the animal for quite a distance. For me and the guys that I hunt with, pursuing a wounded animal changes everything. You hope that when you find the animal, it’s dead or that it’s presenting an easy, broadside shot. But, what’s a person going to do if you find the animal standing and looking back at you at a less than ideal angle? Do you turn down the shot because you only like to shoot at broadside animals? Do you turn down the shot because you don’t want to ruin the meat? I would never assume that I’m going to get a 3rd chance, so I take the shot that I’m given. The bullet/cartridge combination I’ve chosen needs to perform under the worst conditions, not just the best. It needs to get to the vitals and bring the animal down, no matter what the angle is. Turning down this, or any shot on a wounded animal would be unconscionable.