Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - New boat motor
Thread: New boat motor
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I look at that data very differently, for me, it presents a pretty compelling argument to max. out HP.

Max. fuel efficiency of both motor is at 3500 RPM. The 150 is great at 4.65 mpg, but your cruising speed is 24MPH. The 250 is pretty close at 4.23 mpg, the difference is, your cruising at 33MPH. That's 30% faster for 10% more fuel usage.

As you've pointed out, at 33MPH, the fuel usage is essentially identical, the difference is, the 250 is spinning 1000RPM less to maintain that speed. It isn't working nearly as hard.

The 150 at WOT is going 46.4 MPH, getting 2.97 mpg, at 46.5 MPH, the 250 is getting better mileage, at approx. 3.15 mpg. It's also doing that while running roughly the same RPM as the 150 has to run to go 33 MPH.

The ultimate kicker is that the 250 has lots left and will perform much better when the boat is loaded up, the water's rough, you're pulling a skier, etc... On top of that, if you need it or want it, it'll run all the way up to 59.2 MPH and still be within 0.3mpg of the 150's fuel economy at 46.4mpg. 13MPH on the water is very significant. Add in a full second faster to plane and 2 full seconds quicker to 30MPH, and I don't see how the 250 isn't the obvious choice, barring one factor - up front cost.

Waxy
My point isn't that the 150 is "better", I was just dispelling the myth that maxed out = better gas mileage.
To me the best choice is whatever best fits your needs wants and budget.
If our budget makes you chose between a maxed out 17' boat and a less than maxed 18", for some people the 18"er is the better option.
On my boat the extra cost of the 200 over the 150 is the cost of a kicker or some nice electronics. Which will help me catch more fish, 3 more mph top speed or a big upgrade in electronics ?
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.