Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Help! Dog eating bark off trees
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default I had a Draththaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Is he teething? - He's 3 so not teething. This is something he just started within this summer.

What kind of dog is it? - German Drahthaar

can you kennel him when you're not around to properly train him not to do it? - He is in a run during the day when we're not around. He's either doing it in the morning when we let him out, or at night after we get home. Never caught him doing it. Hate to leave him in that run everytime we're not in the yard. May have to though.

can you make a makeshift run for him and fence him in with the trees you've already deemed sacrificed? - With the exception of the tree rows, which is where his run is (down the middle of a row) there are quite a few trees which are placed sporadically making this pretty tough.

maybe switch to high fiber dog food? - He's eating Eukanuba high performance - not sure if this is high fiber or not.

We used to NEVER use the dog run. Just let him free roam the big yard until he started eating the trees. Now he's in the run during the day.
I had one of these dogs. The first 2 yrs he was the best hunting dog I ever had. Then he began to chew up everything he could get his teeth on. Chewed the all the wires of the AC-heat pump,(too bad the ground wasn't wet) every toy, shoe he could find. Chewed the apple and cheery trees, ate everything that grew in the garden. Finally put up a chain link dog run with a conc floor. Came from from work one day and there was a lot of blood coming from his mouth, that stupid dog tried to chew the chain link fence and broke off most of his teeth. The vet recommended a muzzle. Next day his feet were bleeding (all 4) he was trying to dig through the concrete floor to get out. That dog had his 3rd birthday on a farm 100mi away. I wasn't going to reply but when I saw the breed it brought back bad memories. Sure hope your dog isn't related to the one I had.