Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - What rod to pair with a Abu 6500s baitcaster
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Wallhanger

Default 7-6 medH telescopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreindy View Post
Hello all. I was able to pick up a brand new Abu Garcia 6500s baitcaster for $9 on clearance yesterday and I am trying to determine what rod to pair it with to maximize its functionality on my first trip to Canada after a long fishing hiatus. I will be responsible for entirely outfitting my group of 4 (son, Dad, brother and myself).

I already have an assortment of L to ML fast action (6' to 7') spinning combos with nice reels. One for each of us and a back up. I have these designated as jigging rods?

I also own 2 rod and reel line counter combos: equipped with Daiwa Sealine SG17LCA reels on Daiwa Heartland 7'6 ML trolling rods. I have had them for years but they are literally brand new and maybe used once. I was thinking I could use these for bottom bouncing?

I have one spinning set up that could probably serve a function. A G.Loomis GL2 HSR 9000s 7'6. Casting crank baits or small spoons maybe?

Which leads me to the Abu Garcia 6500s. I saw at Gander Mountain a St. Croix Triumph 7' Medium-fast and a St. Croix Triumph 7' Medium Heavy. If I went with the medium, could that rod serve different purposes than if I went with the Medium Heavy? I think I sort of envisioned this rod also being used to pitch spoons, bigger baits for pike?

I am not adverse to picking up additional combos to ensure we have what we need up there (and for the future). Canada has been a very long time in the making and nice to know some of the rods will tasted the drink again. Just really rusty in trying to figure it all out.
Daiwa, St Croix make them in a few models, if you can still find an innerline from Diawa, get it.