Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Minnow

Default 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 front brakes?

Now that I need to get a new vehicle, I have to prep my current truck for a sale. Anyone have experience doing the front brakes on the later model Chevys at home; I have the 17" wheels? Went to the parts store and asked the guy about rotors and pads and about fell over when he quoted prices (several different styles available I guess depending on the exact equipment on the truck). He quoted rotors from $35 to $95 a piece and pads from $13.99 to $50. He said it recommends ceramic pads but will metallic pads work? He said I need to pull a rotor and the pads to determine the exact style I need. I haven't looked but is there anything in the manual or on the door frame telling me what ones I need?

Are the OEM rotors too thin these days to get them turned at least once assuming they aren't too pitted or warped? Anything else I need to look out for when changing out the front brakes? I have done several different styles of cars but never worked on a truck.