Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Best way to slow down trolling speed?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2001, 03:47 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Best way to slow down trolling speed?

I have a Lund Pro-V 1660 with a 65 Suzuki. I use a "Happy Troller" and cut a roughly 4 inch square notch out of the bottom to allow the exhaust to escape.

This seems to allow better slow speed steering, compared to friends that haven't cut such a notch.

I also cut a notch for the pin to stop at, halfway between the "full up" and "full down" notches, because I found that there are some crankbaits and worm harness spinners that don't run properly at the two standard positions.

On my boat and motor setup, the speed indicator shows me running at about 1.8 - 2.0 mph with the plate up and about 0.5 - 0.7 mph with the plate full down. The new middle notch allows me to troll at about 1.0 - 1.2 mph quite happily.

Incidentally, I put in an eye bolt on the bottom edge of the plate. Using about a 4 foot pole with a stainless steel bolt sticking out the side near the end allows me to poke the bolt through the eye, and pull on the stick with one hand and the cable with the other. The plate comes up nice and easy.

Hope this helps.

Ed