Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Lund Pro Sport Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Keeper

I bought a '99 1700 with a 115 Merc elpto in the summer of 1998, still have it. For things to check, as mentioned, check for cracking in the consoles, particularly where they're attached to the boat with screws. If there is mild cracking, that isn't necessarily a deal breaker - a couple years ago, with some cracking in mine, I had the plastic repaired by the guys who repair used car dashboards and trim for the used car lots. Cost a couple hundred or so, and the repairs have been solid (included their attempt at painting to match).

Likewise, as mentioned, windshield where mounted to consoles and gunnels. Again, what comes loose can be tightened.

For troller batteries, I put two optima agm's under the port console for my 24v Terrova - that's a tight fit, but it'll work, and leaves the space open under the starboard console. There is also enough room under there for a three bank Guest charger, which I have. I'd go with a big agm cranking battery too - where the cranking battery is located in the ProSport, it's a real pain to get at to maintain a flooded cell battery, and you'll like the agm better anyway.

As one other poster mentioned, it works well to use one livewell for storage, and the other as a livewell. I had the pumps changed so the livewell pump and the bilge pump take the same cartridge, and carry a spare that'll then work for either. As to the storage livewell, if you wish, in addition to a tool box, it'll hold a 3 gallon Merc tank, with hose and squeeze bulb. I've been glad to have it there more than a couple times over the years.

The center glass in the windshield will blow shut in a big wind - I made a tether - I used a very short nylon strap screwed to windshield, with snap, and put a snap on the front console, so that I could "snap it open" to hold it open on windy days.

I had no-feedback steering installed on mine a few years back (about $600) - that's been a real nice addition.

Mine's been a great rig for our use - I've dragged it to Canada a dozen times or so, the high freeboard was great when the kids were little, and still is nice. It fishes two guys real well, and is fine for more, tubing, skiing, etc. I get about 40 mph gps with steel 20" Merc Laser.

Well, there's $0.02 from the Heartland.

John

Last edited by John N; 03-31-2012 at 06:01 AM.