Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Minnow

Thumbs up The Wonderful World of Jig's

Guy and Gals,
Take a look at these wooden egg , we paint everything white first, then
whatever color you choose, we powder paint as previously described and
we made a jig to drill them on center, this way , on a level drill press, drill
a hole the size of an older practice arrow tip, I think it was an inch deep and put glue in hole and bump it in with a pc of harder wood, now you are very close to dead center, these wooden eggs are shaped like an egg, usually we put the thickest end up and point on the center of the arrow tip and hold with your hand and line up drill with the center point put in earlier, with a punch and drill a 1/16 or 1/8 inch hole depending on line size you use, drill bit all the way thru, (Keep backing it out to clear chips) while drilling fast, and then change bits and run a 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit down about one inch . Now you have a finished egg, we spray paint these and finish with a clear coat.
This is what put my fenwick fly rod in the closet for the last 10 yrs, we
put the size line you using on your rod thru the thinest part of the egg
and run line thru and I put a small barrel swivel on and if you want a bead
(the purpose of double holes in it is so the barrel swivel will go up into
the egg and only the leader is exposed), then I keep about 18 inches to
two feet of line from top of my 6 ft 6 inch rod, Then I run my fluorcarbon line from the bobber to about 6 inches past the end of the handle area and tie on a 1 3/2 maribou jig w red head and a 1 inch minnow from gulp jars and w that rig I can whip it 75 to 100 ft so easily in any direction with this size egg and up to 150 ft plus with the bigger egg and my 10 ft rod, and when it is just about to land throw bail over and pull rod back to get line taunt right away and work it slowly back or quick at times or add a small sinker 1/32 and let it sink slowly and work back to boat and this fabulous way of fishing cover and open water and covering so much area and up to close to 6 ft deep this way, really ups your fishing odds,, I use light sinker and let it fall slowly, it drives then nuts and get a lot more fish this way .
When I use my 10 foot rod and I can cover to close to nine ft and use a small pinch about 15 inches up and use a 3 inch berkley smelt minnow from a bag, and did very well on trout crappies , perch , bass and some nice walleyes around weed beds, this has change our fishing to a big plus in the freezer department. I just might add a 4 to 6 inch line off bobber
this yr and run a minnow very close to the bobber, last yr and a couple
times I had thunders hits on the bobber by big Bass and Northerns, if I
had a minnow tight to bobber I would have some monsters to battle.

I was fishing with my buddy last and after many yrs he found a website
and will send it to me today where you can buy these eggs in different size and our favorite size is 1 1/8 inches long. In the boat By myself I will anchor and fish around the clock way, but don't do it continuously around
I throw two cast to each area say 1 o/clock to 12 o/clock and then
I do the same at 4 o/clock , 8 o/clock and then 11 and 12 o/clock
and then to 1 to 2 o/clock and right around again , advancing each time
and this way has been very successful for many yrs.

Last night my buddy showed me a new way to get early season crappies,
We got to the area he is doing well at near dark, and nothing till pitch dark but nothing breaking the surface like previous night so we got nothing by trolling and casting very slowly with the bobber and a streamer so I decided trying different depths and nothing then I saw two swirls and threw the bobber rig over and missed one and nothing so we trolled a
rebel minnow w blue back and silver sides and 1 1/2 inch lure 50 to 60 ft. back and runs about 2 ft down or so and just moving and jerking it often,
with hardly a wake and trolling over deep water 25 to 30 ft deep and missed a couple but saved the night by getting these 4 nice crappies that
way, I would never have fished this way in March to get crappies, you would think they would be shallower by now with this super nice weather, and no ice, that we are having, but my buddy and his friend were trying all over the lake the other night and didn't have a bite for 3 hrs and they went further up into the deep water this time after nothing in shallow water last yr, and saw the swirls and threw the bobber and the fly rig in the pitch dark over 13 to 20 ft and got 10 that night and missed pretty many, light hitters. He said they were swirling all over the place and got them over an hour period.

That is why I love fishing , you just got to keep trying to you find them,
One night making swirls on top all over the deep water in the dark, and a
70 degree day again and the exact pattern as the night before you would
would work and only 3 swirls in 3 hrs of fishing , that's why they call it fishing.
My buddy won 2 yrs in a row weekend trout fishing contest by using this bobber and a wooly bugger fly on 6 ft of flurocarbon, and our other buddy won the yr before using the same set-up. These were monster trout , 25 , 27 and 28 inches that won. He is the guy who showed me this yrs ago when I had a water filled bobber and he out throwed me twice the distance w the wooden bobber, he didn't have to hit me on the head with a hammer to get me to see the difference. We took hundreds of trout with this bobber rig over the yrs, but the last couple yrs I don't trout fish much , first of all I don't like to eat them, too fishy tasting for me, and I sure get my share of other kinds of fish to eat while up our place in N>Y. When I get trout I drop them off to older people gutted or filleted, what ever way they want, and they really like that.
Sorry for getting long winded here,
Keep a tight line,

Any body interested in trout, My brother gets 550 to 600 trout every yr
for over 30 yrs fishing streams in major city area and this yr he told me
last week at a family diner he set his all time record this year because of
no ice and bad weather and wound up with 967 trout for 2011.
Now , he only uses 2 ways , if interest i will put it up.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (28).JPG
Views:	189
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	14498

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (23).JPG
Views:	169
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	14499