Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Crayfish
Thread: Crayfish
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Yes and tube jigs. In water where crayfish are abundant they work great, especially if prey fish numbers are low. Also anywhere with gobies, a two for one bait. Gravel areas are good, softer bottom I think the crayfish stay buried and aren't very available to walleye. Tube jigs are also good in the rocks, the plastic body hangs up and pulls free unlike a jig head or hook. I've seen people fish a single tube for days in Canada and never lose it. Colors I use most are pumpkin and green pumpkin and whatever the brand calls their green/olive/orange/yellow combinations. 3"-3 1/2" work well on 3/16 jigs for water to 25'. If you hate catching smallmouth be warned that they will hit the tubes like crazy, too. And pike. If you are in an area where walleye are puking crayfish up definitely give them a try, either vertically jigged or cast. Let 'em have some slack on the fall and they will have an erratic side action like jigging minnows.
Well said!

Tubes are an overlooked bait by walleye anglers (most relate tubes to fishing for smallies), but many Smallmouth anglers catch many walleye along with the targeted smallies (especially in the northern and northeastern US and many Canadian lakes. Tubes catch many species of fish.

Good Luck!