Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - bass boat or deep v
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 07:49 PM
Mp3553

Default RE: bass boat or deep v

Owned a bassboat for 8 years and fished in some real NASTY stuff. The biggest draw back was length, @ 17' she would spear rollers if you didn't navigate properly. Never had ANY water come over the sides due to the wide beam or over the back. Then again, I never allowed the stern to be in that position.
The ride was decent considering the draft of the boat on plane. 2-3' chop was about the max that boat could handle @ 40+ mph. The small stuff, she would just skip over the tops and haul tail. Anything larger than that would jar the back teeth loose and kill the lower back. Worst was 6-7' rollers-10 miles from camp. Took 1 1/2 hours to get back! Scared the livin pee out of me! After that episode, she was sold and went to a larger deep V boat to handle the elements. A lot happier knowing that the weather won't dictate where and when I fish as much now. The only thing this boat won't do vs the bassboat is cruise in water less than 20".
The choice is entirely up to the owner....
Been there done that!