Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Are we selling ourselves short?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'vebeenthere View Post
I belong to a tackle companies Pro Team who's incentives to belong keep getting lesser and lesser each year. I understand theres a troubled economy and that things are tougher for all.

I basically get a discount on product, and for that I am suppose to promote their product 24/7 in a variety of ways. I have always done my best for them, and have asked nothing else in return.

It has occured to me lately though that we are really selling ourselves short, but more importantantly, we are really hurting the guys at the top of the game that are trying to make a living at this game. If companies can get as many of us cheap laborers as they want, whats their incentive to pay an angler at the top his due? It must be very frustrating for the career minded Pro's.

Not sure if theres an answer to this or not, but it needs attention. Maybe we need some kind of Players Union like in other Pro Sports.

What do you guys think, should we be working for pay or for credits and products?
I think this post is a poor attempt by someone to appear to be someone they aren't. I think this is actually a disgruntled "pro" who thinks that the reason he can't get real money from his sponsors is because all the "wannabes" out there are selling themselves for nothing.

The bottom line is this. This entire sport is built on lies and perceptions. The perception that top pros are getting big bucks from sponsors and the lies told to the "wannabes" that if they start out with product discounts, someday they will get real money. The fact is, this sport's money maker and it's "sponsor's" biggest customers are the "wannabes" who think someday they will "make it".

Sponsors and "top pros" just have to continue to fuel the lies and perceptions in order to propogate the scam and get the wannabes to fuel the dream with money and hope.