Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - trailer pulls hard
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundexp View Post
It seems like you have a real hard head. It's your freakin truck!!! Yes it gets awesome mileage empty but once you hook up a trailer yes the mileage will drop considerably even with a 5.2 gas no matter how many more horse you add to it it doesnt have the torque like a diesel which makes the most difference. Try pulling a car trailer or whatever and see how much your mileage drops then you will see it's not just your boat trailer.

Since you asked, I am running a F250 7.3L powerstroke with 3.73 gears and 265/75 R 16 tires and it gets 16-18 empty on the highway and when I hook up my 18ft explorer it gets 13-14 at 70-75mph. . . Mind you, this is with a diesel, with a gas it will be considerably worse.

Have you even pulled anything else with this truck other than the boat?

Ok, sheesh..... I'm not on a fishing forum posting in a Trailer section because I need someone do diagnose my truck. I'm an ASE master auto tech. Graduated tech school 10 years ago. Actually GM ASEP specific school. plus dealership exp. My last truck was a duramax (2002 the best year) So maybe I'm having a little trouble adjusting to gas.

I got a lot of good advice on this thread. helpful advice. no need to get pissy.

My truck doesn't slow down going down hill my boat trailer does.....that's not normal. I don't know everything about trailers and surge brakes and boat covers, and all of the otherthings people have mentioned above. That's why I'm here asking.

As far as trailers go, yes. I have towed: 11000lb cargo, 10000lb bobcat, 1500lb motorcycle. I'm not here to ask if someone can tell me how to air up my truck tires, or act like they know what my truck is capible of.

Anyway thanks to everyone for the advice, and I'll see what I can figure out. The boat's at Line-X getting the motorwell and transom sprayed. I'm hoping to hang the motor back on and get out this weekend.