Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - How do I teach my lab to retrieve--and drop?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 AM
Wallhanger

Trained several retrievers with the aid of books. There are several really good books that will get you going in the right direction. All of my retrievers turned out to be exceptional hunting companions.

How I taught our dogs to retrieve. Get them supper fired up about the dummy and give it a short throw and give what ever command you use to fetch. The very second the dog picks up the dummy start running away from the dog and give the command again and again. When the dog gets close to you running away slow down just enough to grab the dummy and give them the command to drop. Make it very exciting and fun for the dog at all times. Repeat this process over and over and over and over.......

Tons of great books and the sooner you read a couple the better for the dog and yourself. Have fun with the pup!