Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - TowTector Issues
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Keeper

Default TowTector Issues

I bought a TowTector last spring before my boat had seen a mile on the road, brand new black Lund. There is about 3 miles or gravel before I get to my camp, and I drove about 20 mph the whole way in. Sure enough about 10 rock chips on either side of the hull.

I read all these reports where guy, after years of towing, only have a couple chips here and there, or even none at all. What am I doing wrong? The only issue I can think of is that the TowTector hangs too low? It has about an inch of clearance to the road when the truck is loaded. I figured the lower the better, but is it possibly brushing the ground and kicking up gravel itself?

From those who have had good luck with it, how much clearance do you have? Also, I'm having a lot of chips show up on my truck bumper at the rear. It appears that rocks are hitting the cross bar and deflecting forwards chipping the heck out of the bumper.... I'm going to have to add some kind of rubber flap. Anyone else run into this?

I probably have the worst combination for rock chips - black boat, black truck, and 305/65/18 BFG All-Terrain tires. I had a Top Gun bow guard made up after my second trip and more chips. No more chips when it's on, but I still am wanting my TowTector to be more functional.