Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Qestions about I-Pilot Link
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher View Post
I have a question about the follow the contour option. I am picking up my new boat this spring(18.5' tiller). Is the hummingbird unit directing the terrova? I will be running a 958 from the tiller position and with the Puck and transducer 18ish feet from the terrova, I'm wondering if this is going to cause issues on semi sharp breaklines, especially in windy conditions? Thanks for any help..!
The i-Pilot Link control head in your Terrova has a GPS receiver; so does your 958c Humminbird fish finder. The way to think about how the Follow the Contour feature works is as follows:

1. You will select a contour line and direction to follow that contour using your Humminbird 958c loaded with a LakeMaster digital GPS map card (2013 or later).

2. The 958c will generate a set of GPS targets for your Terrova to follow, and transmit those targets by ethernet to the i-Pilot Link control head.

3. The i-Pilot Link system will hit those GPS targets, to the best of its ability, using the GPS receiver in the Terrova control head. The ability to hit the targets depends on prop speed, the sharpness of any contour turns, and environmental factors (wind, waves, current). In general, you will need to use enough prop speed to overcome any environmental obstacles in order for i-Pilot Link to successfully hit the GPS targets that are associated with the Follow the Contour feature.

So, you will use the 958c and its GPS receiver to select the contour, but that contour will be followed using the GPS receiver in the Terrova.

Make sense?

You can see this feature in action here:

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/Link5.html