Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Correct oil temperature and cooking time for fish fry??
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Question Correct oil temperature and cooking time for fish fry??

For years, I simply fried walleye fillets in a frying pan with a little butter and some salt and pepper. I've also experimented with some poaching recipes. Now, I'd like to learn how to properly deep fry battered walleye pieces.

One problem I've experienced so far is the temperature of the cooking oil. The batter mix I use (Rocky Madsen's Fish Crisp) recommends preheating the oil to 375 degrees F. Although my thermometer may be way off, deep frying battered fillets anywhere above 340 degrees F seems to turn the battered fillet a very dark brown (unappealing to me). Consequently, I've been experimenting with the cooking oil (Canola) temperature around 280 to 300 degrees F and I've been happier with the light brown colour of the cooked pieces. What cooking oil temperature works best for you? Is there a cooking oil that is better to use than all others?

The second problem I've had is determining the proper cooking time. No one likes over cooked walleye. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to deep fry pieces of walleye fillets from one four pound walleye and one two pound walleye. I separated each fillet into two pieces along the lateral line and then cut into chunky pieces. Is there a secret to knowing how long you cook pieces of differing thicknesses without breaking the pieces apart to see.

Comments/recommendations appreciated.