Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Rainy Lake Information
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2000, 07:03 PM
K. Larson

Default RE: Rainy Lake Information

Gray Wolf,

Yeah, everything Mr. Pesall said is good information. I've been doing the houseboat adventures on Rainy Lake for the last 8 years, always the last week in July or the first week in August. Anyway, for the walleyes all the afore mentioned reefs are good. As for bait, I'm partial to a jig and crawler first, and a jig and shiner second. Lindy rigs and leeches are extremely popular, but I do just as well or better with the jigs. Maybe because the fish see so many leeches. Slip bobbers are good too, but I rarely use them. Another technique that is worth a try if it's slow on the reef is trolling(1-5mph) lures off the reefs in 25-60 feet of water. I use this same technique for northers but I catch just as many walleyes. As for lures, I've caught them on a wide variety. Jointed Buchertail shallow depth raiders were absolutely deadly for northerns and walleyes when I went in the beginning of August. Other lures are: #9 shad raps, sinking rapala magnums, and Buchertail jointed depth raiders. The key is to get the bait down 15-30 feet and use white or shiny lures. I use as much as an ounce of lead to get the big lures down. Metallic silver is great when it's sunny. The reason for this pattern is ciscoes and other pelagic baitfish suspend off the reefs
causing the predators to pursue. They can also find cooler more comfortable water by going deeper.

Other tips for northerns are trolling reefs and main lake drop-offs in 20-35 feet. If you'll be in the eastern basin, the drop-off east from Browns Bay to Finger Bay was hot. We trolled up 5 in about a half an hour the last day I was there.
If your interested in smallies, ther're just about anywhere! Reefs, shorelines, and islands are good bets. Windmill rock, the island due east it, and around sand bay island are all good. I had great success with crawfish colored tubes and shad raps. Just cast up to the srtucture and use an erratic, stop and go retrieve. The key is to find the boulders, not the flat rock.
Hope all that helped. And be careful of the rocks! They come up out of nowhere. Have a great trip!
-KL